Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best comeback song ever?

What's Hot
LPManicLPManic Frets: 1067
edited January 2022 in Music
I was listening to the podcast Sodajerker on Songwriting and they had Gary Barlow on and were talking about writing Patience with John Shanks and I've come to the conclusion that Patience might be one of the best comeback songs ever. Barlow was clear that he knew they had only one shot and they came up with that song. And it's a belter. I remember Nicky Wire saying at the time if Neil Young had written it everyone would have called it one of the best songs ever. I wouldn't go as overboard as the Wire but it is a perfect comeback song.

Any other massive comeback songs in music history? Especially after 10 years?

EDIT: Edit for the NME article on Wire and Gary Barlow: https://www.nme.com/news/music/manic-street-preachers-140-1318956 ; =)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

Echo & the Bunnymen - Nothing Lasts Forever

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Blondie - Maria
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    Can’t say I was/am a fan of that Take That song, but in terms of a comeback song I think Ordinary World by Duran Duran was a great one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Rush - One Little Victory

i highly recommend reading up on Neil Pearts tragedies. The intro just screams ‘I’m back’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1067
    edited January 2022
    Blondie is a good shout.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    ABBA - Don't Shut Me Down

After *40* years...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    Coffee and tv, blur. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    St Anger by Metallica, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Not a single song but AoC output has been top quality since reforming and considering the time and how important Lane Staley was it's quite unexpected.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    JC's version of Hurt was a huge record that introduced him to a whole new audience who's parents weren't even born when Cash was big. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    edited January 2022
    Dusty Springfield - What have I done to deserve this….(with PSB’s) 

https://youtu.be/Wn9E5i7l-Eg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think if Neil Young had written Patience, people would have just said "Why is Neil Young writing songs like that?". It's a good song but Nicky Wire mentioning him is a bit of a weird link.

I quite liked Frozen by Madonna, despite not liking literally any other song by her ever, so I guess that's a good one for me to add.

Does The Beatles "Free as a Bird" count? 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    LPManic said:
    I was listening to the podcast Sodajerker on Songwriting and they had Gary Barlow on and were talking about writing Patience with John Shanks and I've come to the conclusion that Patience might be one of the best comeback songs ever. Barlow was clear that he knew they had only one shot and they came up with that song. And it's a belter. I remember Nicky Wire saying at the time if Neil Young had written it everyone would have called it one of the best songs ever. I wouldn't go as overboard as the Wire but it is a perfect comeback song.

Any other massive comeback songs in music history? Especially after 10 years?
    John shanks is one of my favourite guitarists.  Very very good live 
    and what he has written and produced too
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    I’d say Bon Jovi’s Keep The Faith (song & album) deserve an honourable mention, arriving with a new image, in the thick of Grunge, and after a four year absence. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 2958
    Not sure if it counts as a comeback, but it is a comeback of sorts I suppose. New Order changed the name and the style of music to introduce the band to a new audience when they released Blue Monday following Joy Division and the death of Ian Curtis.

ACDC kept the name and kept their original sound following the death of Bon Scott and the introduction of Brian Johnson. You Shook me All Night Long was an awesome track. It took a lot to 'comeback' I would guess, especially with such a good album (Back in Black)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Tina Turner Let’s Stay Together. 

I think she’d had a solo career that had ticked along for a few years but then boof an international hit with a modern sounding production. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1067
    I think if Neil Young had written Patience, people would have just said "Why is Neil Young writing songs like that?". It's a good song but Nicky Wire mentioning him is a bit of a weird link.

Here is the NME article: https://www.nme.com/news/music/manic-street-preachers-140-1318956 ; :)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Blondie - Maria
    Awful song
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    edited January 2022
    Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer

Kylie Minogue - I can't get you out of my head
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Chicago - Hard to say I’m Sorry  1982 

This is just what the Doctor ordered  to make Chicago serious contenders in the charts again
      absolutely amazing song , just like their 76 hit     “if you leave me now”  

It would seem this turn of events was bought about by David Foster  who worked his magic a second time in 84  with hit songs 

You’re the inspiration  & Hard habit to break 

all this involved bringing in outside writers to work with Peter Cetera  plus top studio musicians 
    (most of Toto) 

anyway I think these songs and albums are pretty amazing  but what is even more amazing if at all possible are Peter Ceteras albums 

Solitude Solitaire & One more Story  in my opinion two of the finest albums to come out of the 80s that represent that overproduced sound that all 80s fans love . They have everything 
    Ceteras voice , studio legend guitarists like Dan huff and Ray Parker junior 
    and all those great FM synth sounds like The huge DX7 stacked electric pianos 

Absolutely top shelf