Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best comeback song ever?

What's Hot

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4085
    edited January 2022
    Tina Turner Let’s Stay Together. 

I think she’d had a solo career that had ticked along for a few years but then boof an international hit with a modern sounding production. 

I remember my cousin playing this constantly  over Christmas 82  
     I definitely think it paved the way for the Private dancer album  it sounded so big and like you say production was spot on 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23968
    Back in Black - AC/DC
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Hourglass, Squeeze.

High Hopes, Pink Floyd.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 356
    The OP nailed it for me with Patience, the only Take That song I would allow in my house or car without an argument.

Echo & the Bunnymen - Nothing Lasts Forever is a good shout too. I think that was rockandrolldave

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    I thought nothing last for ever was the complete opposite of this thread.
  • Soundgarden - Been away for too long.
    I was elated when this came out. Back with a bang after 15 years away. Shame it wasn't for longer :(

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Tina Turner Let’s Stay Together. 

I think she’d had a solo career that had ticked along for a few years but then boof an international hit with a modern sounding production. 
    I was going to say 'What's Love Got to Do with It', but I think your choice was released a little earlier.  +1 for Tina, anyway.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • "I'd Do Anything for Love" by Meat Loaf. Up to the release of BooH II he was considered washed up and a bit of a joke. This was his biggest-selling single ever.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited January 2022
    The 'albums after we cleaned up' - and the singles released from them - deserve a mention I reckon. Steve Ray Vaughan's 'In Step', Motley Crue's 'Dr. Feelgood', Aerosmith's 'Pump', Clapton's 'Journeyman'.

Debateable as to whether or not they were the artists' best, but all pretty big sellers on the back of new-found sobriety - artists who were, to a greater or lesser extent, pretty much washed up beforehand.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2913
    Meat Loaf - I'd Do Anything For Love.

Came out in the midst of the grunge explosion - couldn't be any more different!
  • AsterixTGAsterixTG Frets: 246
    Duran Duran - 'Ordinary World'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5275
    Cliff Richard's Devil Woman deserves a mention. 
    Manfred Mann's Blinded by the Light came along 9 years after they had disappeared from sight. That's worth mentioning too. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Tannin said:
    Manfred Mann's Blinded by the Light came along 9 years after they had disappeared from sight. That's worth mentioning too. 
    It's a Springsteen track though isn't it?

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Tannin said:
    Cliff Richard's Devil Woman deserves a mention. 
    Of which there's a cheeky reference by Tony Iommi in Black Sabbath's Lady Evil.

Yeah, but don't hold that against it.

Prior to MM's brilliant cover, it was just another pile of ugly moaning buried in a turgid mix, same as every other Springsteen song. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Boromedic said:
    Tannin said:
    Is it not also a different band (Manfred Mann’s Earth Band) a complete different entity to the band who sang  doo Wah diddy 
  • randella said:
    The 'albums after we cleaned up' - and the singles released from them - deserve a mention I reckon. Steve Ray Vaughan's 'In Step', Motley Crue's 'Dr. Feelgood', Aerosmith's 'Pump', Clapton's 'Journeyman'.

Debateable as to whether or not they were the artists' best, but all pretty big sellers on the back of new-found sobriety - artists who were, to a greater or lesser extent, pretty much washed up beforehand.
    I wouldn’t describe  Pump , Feelgood and Journeyman as comeback albums , just albums that sold exceptionally well  each of these albums had at least 2 or 3 great albums before it that were greatly thought of 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Boromedic said:
    Tannin said:
    Is it not also a different band (Manfred Mann’s Earth Band) a complete different entity to the band who sang  doo Wah diddy 
    Well, it still had Manfred Mann in it !  :3

Fair point though, it's like another Fleetwood Mac.

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Wire

Still feels weird that there was a 12-13 year gap between their Manscape and Send albums.  In The Art Of Stopping was the opener on Send, and sounded like they'd (1) never been away, and (2)  rediscovered their spikey Pink Flag essence.  Great track.

New fangled trading feedback link right here!