Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Need a new gig bag

What's Hot

Comments

• I have a sleeve which is fine for a Strat or Tele, but far too tight for a Gibson.  For that, I use the full Mono gig bag (this one, not the Vertigo) which has the all-important space round the headstock.
    looks like a different model I.e not the sleeve or vertigo, worth a look...
    The sleeve is really quite a snug fit.   I have a hefty leather strap on my Tele - which lives on the guitar - and it's hard work getting guitar and strap into the bag.  Of course, if you have a detachable strap, or a thin fabric one, it becomes much less of a problem.  Then it becomes an excellent slimline case.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3542
    Anyone tried the Boss ones?
  • Greatape said:
    Anyone tried the Boss ones?
    No, but I'd imagine they're well buffered.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I have a sleeve which is fine for a Strat or Tele, but far too tight for a Gibson.  For that, I use the full Mono gig bag (this one, not the Vertigo) which has the all-important space round the headstock.
    looks like a different model I.e not the sleeve or vertigo, worth a look...
    The sleeve is really quite a snug fit.   I have a hefty leather strap on my Tele - which lives on the guitar - and it's hard work getting guitar and strap into the bag.  Of course, if you have a detachable strap, or a thin fabric one, it becomes much less of a problem.  Then it becomes an excellent slimline case.
    I use the Dimarzio clip lock ones that I take off if sitting down to play. I rarely play standing up anymore so leave the, off. Might be a potential candidate here.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    edited January 2022
    I have a Reunion Blues LP gig bag which is extremely good and I would also check out the Epiphone Epilite gig bag too - My Lucille came in one and it's very impressive and for £90.00 a bit of a steal. (if you can live with the shame.)

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • T.AvonT.Avon Frets: 25
    ICBM said:
    Mono are overpriced in my eyes. I’ve had 2 zips break on previous owned mono products. There is no need to spend that much.
    Having owned three I’d have to agree. They’re fantastic when new and give great protection, but they suffer wear and tear very quickly for something that costs that much. I wouldn’t buy another at the new price. There are now others which are as (or very nearly) as good and cost a lot less - or Fusion which aren’t far off the same price but seem more durable.
    My Mono Vertigo case has managed a couple of tours and is about 5 years old and is still going pretty strong, although the rubber piping has perished a bit. Although it hasn’t seen as much use in the last couple of years as I’d expected!

Thanks,
    Tom
  • T.Avon said:
    ICBM said:
    Mono are overpriced in my eyes. I’ve had 2 zips break on previous owned mono products. There is no need to spend that much.
    Having owned three I’d have to agree. They’re fantastic when new and give great protection, but they suffer wear and tear very quickly for something that costs that much. I wouldn’t buy another at the new price. There are now others which are as (or very nearly) as good and cost a lot less - or Fusion which aren’t far off the same price but seem more durable.
    My Mono Vertigo case has managed a couple of tours and is about 5 years old and is still going pretty strong, although the rubber piping has perished a bit. Although it hasn’t seen as much use in the last couple of years as I’d expected!

Thanks,
    Tom
    5 years is a pretty good lifespan for a gig bag, I had an old Ritter Les Paul for about the same length about 10 years ag.

Now I'm not gigging much anymore it should last a bit, I don't wanna keep getting new bags every 2 years.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    I`ve had my Reunion Blues bag for getting on for 15 years now. It was expensive, but has been great. My strat has been in this for every gig and jam session since then, and it`s been on a plane a few time inc BA in the hold. No issues at all - and no significant damage or marks. 

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3542
    newi123 said:
    I`ve had my Reunion Blues bag for getting on for 15 years now. It was expensive, but has been great. My strat has been in this for every gig and jam session since then, and it`s been on a plane a few time inc BA in the hold. No issues at all - and no significant damage or marks. 

Which model?
  • HAL9000 said:
    +1 for the TGI Extreme, I have one and it's excellent. I also have a Protection Racket 7050 which I feel is slightly better for anything with an angles headstock, as it has rigid sides and foam pads that you can move around, including one under the neck.
    Good point. None of my guitars has as angled headstock. If I owned a Gibson I’d probably invest in something a bit more rigid.
    Ah yeah didn't factor this in, I would have gone for the TGI extreme but as I carry a few Les Paul's with the angled headstock I might have to reconsider.
  • I’ve got a pro go ,they’re ace ,it even fits my Jackson 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    Papa’s got a brand new one 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    edited January 2022
    I have the Mono Vertigo and it comfortably takes a Strat, Les Paul or 339.  With a tiny bit of fiddling about I can leave straps attached. 

It's still in great nick after several years, but use has been fairly light - usually it's house to the car, car to the rehearsal studio/venue and then back, unless the destination is walkable.  It's not getting bunged in the back of a Transit van with a stack of gear.

I agree that Monos seem shockingly expensive for what they are, but over a lifetime of several years the difference between that and a cheaper bag probably works out at pence per trip.  Any time I've looked at something cheaper there seems to be a snag - even if they offer as good protection they seem to be a bit bulkier and/or heavier and/or uglier.  Pretty unimportant on a single trip but over maybe 5 years something a little more refined is worth the extra.

I'm not saying there are not better options out there, I keep hoping to see one, but so far I haven't.  The Reunion Blues ones look interesting, but I'm not sure they're all that much cheaper than Mono.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    edited January 2022
    T.Avon said:
    ICBM said:
    Mine has worn through on the bottom corners of the outer pocket - they're just too exposed, and not protected with anything. I'll get round to sewing on some old amp corner protectors eventually!

I also had a M80 classical/335 case where several of the zips frayed and would open up in the middle.

Just not as tough as I expected given the price, really.

rlw said:
    I have a Reunion Blues LP gig bag which is extremely good
    I also have a dreadnought one of the RBX series, and even though it does the job marginally better than an ordinary gig bag, that's about all and I would have to consider it very overpriced for what it is. I bought it second hand but almost unused for about 2/3 of the new price, and I still think it was slightly too much...

HAL9000 said:
    +1 for the TGI Extreme, I have one and it's excellent. I also have a Protection Racket 7050 which I feel is slightly better for anything with an angles headstock, as it has rigid sides and foam pads that you can move around, including one under the neck.
    Good point. None of my guitars has as angled headstock. If I owned a Gibson I’d probably invest in something a bit more rigid.
    Ah yeah didn't factor this in, I would have gone for the TGI extreme but as I carry a few Les Paul's with the angled headstock I might have to reconsider.
    For an angled headstock - especially a Gibson - you absolutely must have a neck support. Anything else is asking for trouble, and that *particularly* includes the ones Gibson sell with some of the more budget models, which are overly tight and actually stress the headstock rather than protect it. Not fit for purpose.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    Another vote for the Mono Vertigo

I have a standard size one which fits a Strat, Tele or Les Paul and the bass version for my Firebird.

Never had any issues, and holding up well 

I slso have the Epilite gig bag that came with my Sheraton Emily Wolfe and that's already showing far more wear and tear after just a few months. I'm much more careful loading that in and out of the car etc as I don't feel it offers anywhere near the protection of the Vertigo
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Greatape said:
    newi123 said:

Which model?
    Mine is the fender custom shop labelled one. Not sure if they still make them, but they do have similar.
  • I have the Mono Vertigo and it comfortably takes a Strat, Les Paul or 339.  With a tiny bit of fiddling about I can leave straps attached. 

It's still in great nick after several years, but use has been fairly light - usually it's house to the car, car to the rehearsal studio/venue and then back, unless the destination is walkable.  It's not getting bunged in the back of a Transit van with a stack of gear.

I agree that Monos seem shockingly expensive for what they are, but over a lifetime of several years the difference between that and a cheaper bag probably works out at pence per trip.  Any time I've looked at something cheaper there seems to be a snag - even if they offer as good protection they seem to be a bit bulkier and/or heavier and/or uglier.  Pretty unimportant on a single trip but over maybe 5 years something a little more refined is worth the extra.

I'm not saying there are not better options out there, I keep hoping to see one, but so far I haven't.  The Reunion Blues ones look interesting, but I'm not sure they're all that much cheaper than Mono.
    I'm willing to get a Mono if it means I get at least 5 years out of it, I'm sick of gig bags ripping apart within 2 years (like this Ritter one).  And I'm not going out with the guitar as much now, as in to gigs, just transporting it from house to garage mainly, house to car and the odd jam at a rehearsal room.
  • I have an M80 dual and a single Vertigo as well as a pedalboard bag. M80s have much more room for back angled headstocks; the Vertigo had just enough room and I won’t put a Gibson in it. 

All have held up fairly well so far, probably at least 8 or 9 years for the oldest - the split
    post tuners on my strat chewed up the inside of the bag around the headstock; Mono sent me some kind of patch to put over it, which has been fine since. The pedalboard case is solid though as ICBM says, the front pockets on these bags have a fold at the corner and that wears over time.

I did have some friends who bought stuff after I raved about it and had problems - one bought a pedalboard case and within a week it had ripped at the strap ends, though it was replaced under warranty.

Not long after I bought mine they swapped over to Westside for distribution and the prices went Westside too…definitely more competition now too.

• HAL9000 said:
    For an angled headstock - especially a Gibson - you absolutely must have a neck support. Anything else is asking for trouble, and that *particularly* includes the ones Gibson sell with some of the more budget models, which are overly tight and actually stress the headstock rather than protect it. Not fit for purpose.
    Guess I'm looking at the Mono Vertigo then? I think the sleeve one is a bit too skinny and may struggle to fit my Les Paul in.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    edited January 2022
    I have an M80 dual and a single Vertigo as well as a pedalboard bag. M80s have much more room for back angled headstocks; the Vertigo had just enough room and I won’t put a Gibson in it. 

Ah so I'm probably going to have to get the non Vertigo one like this?

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/13111515450367--mono-m80-eg-electric-guitar-bag?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItKf1ud259QIVS-rtCh0s4QpCEAQYBiABEgJUu_D_BwE

Or will that be difficult to fit a Les Paul in?