Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Need a new gig bag

What's Hot

Comments

• I have the Mono Vertigo and it comfortably takes a Strat, Les Paul or 339.  With a tiny bit of fiddling about I can leave straps attached. 

It's still in great nick after several years, but use has been fairly light - usually it's house to the car, car to the rehearsal studio/venue and then back, unless the destination is walkable.  It's not getting bunged in the back of a Transit van with a stack of gear.

I agree that Monos seem shockingly expensive for what they are, but over a lifetime of several years the difference between that and a cheaper bag probably works out at pence per trip.  Any time I've looked at something cheaper there seems to be a snag - even if they offer as good protection they seem to be a bit bulkier and/or heavier and/or uglier.  Pretty unimportant on a single trip but over maybe 5 years something a little more refined is worth the extra.

I'm not saying there are not better options out there, I keep hoping to see one, but so far I haven't.  The Reunion Blues ones look interesting, but I'm not sure they're all that much cheaper than Mono.
    I'm willing to get a Mono if it means I get at least 5 years out of it, I'm sick of gig bags ripping apart within 2 years (like this Ritter one).  And I'm not going out with the guitar as much now, as in to gigs, just transporting it from house to garage mainly, house to car and the odd jam at a rehearsal room.

It used to be with the Monos that if you kept an eye out and had a bit of patience you had a decent chance of being able to pick one up going cheap somewhere.  I got mine at "new old stock" price that probably represented a 20-25% discount on the current price.  I'm just not sure that's still possible with all the supply chain stuff going on with Covid and Brexit.

My impression with how you describe your use pattern you'd get your 5 years easily enough, but obviously no guarantees.  One thing people tend to overlook in these discussion is that there'll be some variation in quality even within the same model.  We're all assuming the one we got is representative and it won't always be the case.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Lestratcaster it’s only my personal opinion but…yes, I’d recommend the M80 over the Vertigo for the added depth around the headstock. Plus, the Vertigo is side-opening only and personally I’d prefer not to be sliding a Les Paul into the bag that way. No such concerns with a strat, which is basically flat all over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got quite a bit of Mono stuff but, if I were starting over, I'd try Fusion.

See this thread for thoughts and issues:
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/214270/wtb-mono-m80-guitar-sleeve-or-similar#latest
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7206
    edited January 2022
    I thought I might be able to suggest a viable alternative to a traditionally shaped bag that addressed the issue of weight and protection, but unfortunately not.  I'm only including this in case anybody else might have contemplated the same solution.

I bought one of those rectangular hard foam side-zip cases that lies halfway between a gig bag and a hard case in terms of protection and handling, but without the weight of a hard case.  It has plenty of padding inside, has a long shaped neck support with storage spaces either side, and is quite showerproof.  I bought it primarily for strat and tele guitar types so that I could select one, bung it in the case, and slide it onto the back seat of my car.  Even though it is rectangular it feels far less bulky than a rectangular or shaped hard case because of its very light weight and strap handle.

When i saw this thread I put a couple of my LP type guitars into it to check for fit out of curiosity.  The body is held very firmly in place by the central section going across the case where the neck support starts, but unfortunately the neck support isn't high enough to allow clearance for the depth of the angled headstock and the headstock is right up against the end of the case there.  Even if I made the neck support channel higher with an additional foam insert, the end of the heastock would not have sufficient clearance from the end of the case to protect it from a bump at that end.

I have two other shaped cases of this kind that provide snug fits for dreadnought and OM size acoustics and I prefer them to gig bags or hard cases.  It's a great pity that no manufacturers seem to make a slightly shaped hard foam case for LP style guitars, because I think that would make a lot of people happy.

[EDIT]
    I did another search and I see that Gator makes a LP sized partly shaped version.  It has a recess in the foam above where the bridge and tailpiece will sit, which is what I like about the rectangular case I have.

It has two separate neck support blocks at either end of the accessory compartment rather than a continuous longitudinal one, but seems to have clearance for the angled headstock all round.  I would have preferred to see some corresponding foam shapes in the lid above the neck near the nut and a thicker neck support block there, but otherwise I would be happier using this than a gig bag.

I also see that there is a Kinsman brand of this type that doesn't look as good quality as the gator one, but no photos of the inside:

Photo here but showing as "Discontinued" (and it's not amongst the range showing on the JHS site):
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5015
    ICBM said: For an angled headstock - especially a Gibson - you absolutely must have a neck support. Anything else is asking for trouble, and that *particularly* includes the ones Gibson sell with some of the more budget models, which are overly tight and actually stress the headstock rather than protect it. Not fit for purpose.
    I’ve used PRS SE gigbags to take 50s LP Juniors to and from gigs for several years now and never had a problem. Maybe I’ve been lucky.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    BillDL said:
    I thought I might be able to suggest a viable alternative to a traditionally shaped bag that addressed the issue of weight and protection, but unfortunately not.  I'm only including this in case anybody else might have contemplated the same solution.

I bought one of those rectangular hard foam side-zip cases that lies halfway between a gig bag and a hard case in terms of protection and handling, but without the weight of a hard case.  It has plenty of padding inside, has a long shaped neck support with storage spaces either side, and is quite showerproof.  I bought it primarily for strat and tele guitar types so that I could select one, bung it in the case, and slide it onto the back seat of my car.  Even though it is rectangular it feels far less bulky than a rectangular or shaped hard case because of its very light weight and strap handle.

When i saw this thread I put a couple of my LP type guitars into it to check for fit out of curiosity.  The body is held very firmly in place by the central section going across the case where the neck support starts, but unfortunately the neck support isn't high enough to allow clearance for the depth of the angled headstock and the headstock is right up against the end of the case there.  Even if I made the neck support channel higher with an additional foam insert, the end of the heastock would not have sufficient clearance from the end of the case to protect it from a bump at that end.

I have two other shaped cases of this kind that provide snug fits for dreadnought and OM size acoustics and I prefer them to gig bags or hard cases.
    I’m really surprised these aren’t more popular with guitarists. They have most of the advantages of both hard cases and good gig bags, but usually cost less than either. Most classical musicians use them, for instruments that cost many times what ours do.

I’ve used PRS SE gigbags to take 50s LP Juniors to and from gigs for several years now and never had a problem. Maybe I’ve been lucky.
    I had a 50s Junior once - it’s one of the only Gibsons I never worried about gigging, the neck was very thick and ‘flared’ behind the nut, the wood grain followed the curve, and although the end of the headstock looked like it had been used to dig roads with, it had never broken.

They’re not all quite that strong, but most seem to have the same flare, unlike many of the more expensive models and almost all modern ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3542
    Re: longevity - I've been using and abusing my Protection Racket for nearly ten years, I would guess, and it's still in good shape. 
  • Yeah I kinda don't want a gig bag for a strat and then have to get another for an LP guitar. I'm kinda thinking of getting the Mono M80 at the moment for both body types. I think it has enough space for the headstock.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    @Lestratcaster it’s only my personal opinion but…yes, I’d recommend the M80 over the Vertigo for the added depth around the headstock. Plus, the Vertigo is side-opening only and personally I’d prefer not to be sliding a Les Paul into the bag that way. No such concerns with a strat, which is basically flat all over.
    As the M80 and the M80 Vertigo use the same "Headlock" design, is there more depth around the headstock on an M80?

Yes, it's slightly annoying that the zips don't fully open on the Vertigo, but I've never had any issues sliding my Les Pauls into it, there's still plenty of room and I can't see the soft lining of the bag ever damaging any of the guitar's hardware. As others have said, the most important thing is that the neck is well supported, which it is.  

Although the dual M80 was very tempting, it's the added protection of the "Boot" on the Vertigo in the event of a drop that made me opt for that one. I wanted maximum protection in the lightest and easiest to carry form and I think the Vertigo ticks those boxes. 
  • The Vertigo is more compact than the standard M80. Consequently, it’s got less storage space.

The Vertigo’s neck brace is a slightly different design to the standard: it’s formed and more solid and there’s no velcro retaining strap (because the front doesn’t fully open).

No problems sliding a Les Paul in/out of the Vertigo: that’s how I use the standard M80 anyway.
  • I prefer the side opening, makes it much more convenient to get the guitar in / out without requiring a flat space. However the zip edges do scrape against the guitar. They’re plastic so I don’t mind but with a more glossy or Gibson finish I might be more reluctant…ultimately though my SG never goes in the vertigo because the top of the headstock makes contact with the back of the case when it’s in there, which is classic headstock break conditions.
  • DavusPG said:
    @Lestratcaster it’s only my personal opinion but…yes, I’d recommend the M80 over the Vertigo for the added depth around the headstock. Plus, the Vertigo is side-opening only and personally I’d prefer not to be sliding a Les Paul into the bag that way. No such concerns with a strat, which is basically flat all over.
    As the M80 and the M80 Vertigo use the same "Headlock" design, is there more depth around the headstock on an M80?

Yes, it's slightly annoying that the zips don't fully open on the Vertigo, but I've never had any issues sliding my Les Pauls into it, there's still plenty of room and I can't see the soft lining of the bag ever damaging any of the guitar's hardware. As others have said, the most important thing is that the neck is well supported, which it is.  

Although the dual M80 was very tempting, it's the added protection of the "Boot" on the Vertigo in the event of a drop that made me opt for that one. I wanted maximum protection in the lightest and easiest to carry form and I think the Vertigo ticks those boxes. 
    How long have you had your Vertigo by the way? I may be swayed into getting one of these now.
  • I prefer the side opening, makes it much more convenient to get the guitar in / out without requiring a flat space. However the zip edges do scrape against the guitar. They’re plastic so I don’t mind but with a more glossy or Gibson finish I might be more reluctant…ultimately though my SG never goes in the vertigo because the top of the headstock makes contact with the back of the case when it’s in there, which is classic headstock break conditions.
    I think I'd be carrying my Strat or Tele the most, the LP once (maybe twice) per week. 
  • F**k it. I pulled the trigger on a Vertigo which will be delivered tomorrow. I watched a few YT vids and it will fit a LP fine by the looks of it.
    DavusPG said:

How long have you had your Vertigo by the way? I may be swayed into getting one of these now.
    Sorry only just seen this. 

A good few years. Gets used weekly for rehearsals and at every gig. It's so much easier than lugging a hardcase about and I have total confidence in it. 

I also have the Tick 2.0 bag which attaches to it and is plenty big enough for cables, strings, and all sorts of other crap.
  • DavusPG said:
    DavusPG said:

Sorry only just seen this. 

A good few years. Gets used weekly for rehearsals and at every gig. It's so much easier than lugging a hardcase about and I have total confidence in it. 

I also have the Tick 2.0 bag which attaches to it and is plenty big enough for cables, strings, and all sorts of other crap.
    Ok cool. Is it quite light and not overly bulky? It looks pretty slim in the pictures and video reviews.

Hopefully its delivered tomorrow as scheduled!
    Yup, super light and not at all bulky

I was so impressed I bought the bass version for my Firebird as the Gibson case for that is like a coffin
  • Careful you might tempt me if I like it alot! I could even get the sleeve one for carrying my Strat/Tele but would rather just have the one bag for them all.
  • Loved the idea of the Guitar Tick but actually found it to be a pain in the ass...due to the following fairly obvious reasons:
    • degrades the 'dynamic' of the slim and stealthy gig-bag
    • if it's attached to the guitar case and the zip is open, it wants to pull the case open
    • if you want to get into the tick and the guitar case is upright, stuff wants to fall forwards out of the tick
    • the velcro attaching straps failed...so game over...now it's just a bits & bobs container in my music room
  • Don't think I'll be needing the tick thing but good to know the option is there.