Gibson engineer discusses recent changes at Gibson Custom Shop

What's Hot

Comments

• Fucking brilliant that....................
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SvennnSvennn Frets: 146
    Definitely a lol but I had to give it a wis too. Anybody know Pablos background? Was he at Fender before the bar?
    9-42 thru 11-56 depending on my mood
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    tFB Trader
    Seen it before but well worth watching again - His face, smile and laugh when he say's Hide Glue
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11306
    Priceless.  And I want some of whatever he's on.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    Impossible to watch him without laughing. Juan Joya Borja (El Risitas) RIP
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56925999
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited January 2022
    Hysterical - seen other send-up vids with him, but not this one - just brilliant.  So, you heard it hear first folks, - the secret of a great guitar is hide glue, scraped plastic and choose your own top - and then you'll sound just like Jimmy Page!  Who knew? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    edited January 2022
    Funny lol.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1068
    The Jesus (hey-sue) / Hide Glue works perfect.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    What is hide glue ? 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2336
    Glue made of pure distilled tone
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    sev112 said:
    What is hide glue ? 
    Traditional glue made from animal bits.

Hot hide glue comes in pellet form, you mix with water and heat it up to use.  It needs to stay warm during glue up so is fiddly to work, but dries really hard.  Its thought to be good for guitar construction because it dries so hard.  It also pulls joints together as it cures, and allows them to be steamed apart if needed.... this is great for things like violins.  

Liquid hide glue is the same thing with added urea to keep it liquid at room temperature.   The additives make  it more like a normal glue with most of the benefits of HHG being lost.

Gibson fans get excited by the mention of hide glue for neck joints.  You wouldn't use it for something like gluing the top to the body as it cools down too quickly when used over bigger areas and becomes unreliable
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2022
    It’s also pretty slippery while it’s hot so you can slide a tight fitting piece of wood in without fear of the wood swelling and sticking before it’s in the right spot, pretty handy for set necks
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Anyone on here who's a vegan but plays Gibsons?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I wonder what the original interview was about, and who the guy is..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

The sixth post tells you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    elstoof said:
    The sixth post tells you
    Doh!

Thank you!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• WezV said:
    sev112 said:
    What is hide glue ? 
    Traditional glue made from animal bits.

Hot hide glue comes in pellet form, you mix with water and heat it up to use.  It needs to stay warm during glue up so is fiddly to work, but dries really hard.  Its thought to be good for guitar construction because it dries so hard.  It also pulls joints together as it cures, and allows them to be steamed apart if needed.... this is great for things like violins.  

Liquid hide glue is the same thing with added urea to keep it liquid at room temperature.   The additives make  it more like a normal glue with most of the benefits of HHG being lost.

Gibson fans get excited by the mention of hide glue for neck joints.  You wouldn't use it for something like gluing the top to the body as it cools down too quickly when used over bigger areas and becomes unreliable
    They’ve been using hide glue for sticking the maple cap down since late 2016. I think the Historic line is all Hide Glue construction now. They stopped any mention of ‘hot’ a while ago though so perhaps it’s just the east apply stuff like you mention. In the making videos it’s kept in metal pots that are usually used for hot application though, so who knows.

Does it make any difference to tone? Quite likely not, however there’s no doubt it dries much much harder than titebond 1-3. And it is historically correct which is the whole point of the reissues. Urea Formaldehyde glue would likely be a good middle ground but it’s not very nice to work with 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4127
    usedtobe said:
    I wonder what the original interview was about, and who the guy is..
    You can find it on youtube - the original story is bloody hilarious.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    If doing big areas you need to keep the workpiece warm as well as the glue, so they could be using it, but its really not the practical choice for tops.   

They didn't use hot hide glue for tops in  the 50's, for the reasons I stated... it was Urea Formaldehyde or something like that.    They did use hot hide glue for attaching necks and fingerboards
  • Was going to post this but seen it's been posted already so just going to bump it instead for those who may not have seen yet and could use the laugh :)