Djent…

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    I prefer Djunt 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like lots of modern death and black metal. But djent stuff just doesn't do it for me. Despite liking lots of heavy music I find screamo vocals wearing (but not death metal stuff), and the dubstep like guitar riffs rather annoying. 
    Yeah, I feel a similar way.

I think the last decade or so has been a golden era for metal, but the djent style metal just seemed too generic and a bit too 'clean' if that makes sense (for production, too crisp and compressed for my liking).

The great thing about metal though, it's a very diverse genre and there always something to appeal to your interests.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like lots of modern death and black metal. But djent stuff just doesn't do it for me. Despite liking lots of heavy music I find screamo vocals wearing (but not death metal stuff), and the dubstep like guitar riffs rather annoying. 
    Yeah, I feel a similar way.

I think the last decade or so has been a golden era for metal, but the djent style metal just seemed too generic and a bit too 'clean' if that makes sense (for production, too crisp and compressed for my liking).

The great thing about metal though, it's a very diverse genre and there always something to appeal to your interests.

I saw a post on twitter recently about how all modern metal suffers from massively high-gain but extremely polite guitar sounds, and I made a comment about making sure my guitar always sounds gnarly and dirty, and was exceedingly gratified to get a few nods of agreement from some of my musical friends :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    edited January 2022
    I don't like the clean sounding tones in djent. That middy boingy sound. And I prefer bass to be playing where eight string guitars are. 

I'm a great fan of Em chugging. :)

• NerineNerine Frets: 2097
    As with most modern music, it seems to be more about how technically accomplished it is rather than how catchy or moving it is. 

I don’t find this ideal for repeated listening. 

No Djent tracks have ever made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. 

I’m in some Facebook group called Guitar Licks and Tricks or summat. There’s plenty of crap, but there are the odd few that seem to be able to play a bit, but it’s all widdle and tapping and neoclassical sweeps etc and it’s sooooo mind-numbingly boring and crap to listen to that it’s unreal. 
  • Nerine said:
    As with most modern music, it seems to be more about how technically accomplished it is rather than how catchy or moving it is. 

I’m in some Facebook group called Guitar Licks and Tricks or summat. There’s plenty of crap, but there are the odd few that seem to be able to play a bit, but it’s all widdle and tapping and neoclassical sweeps etc and it’s sooooo mind-numbingly boring and crap to listen to that it’s unreal. 

Tosin being a case in point.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    Nerine said:

Tosin being a case in point.
    There's an Animals as Leaders track which has appeared a few times on my Spotify playlists.  I really like it, but it's the only thing of theirs I've ever heard.
  • Big fan of songs like Prayer Position. That's got some real groove to it and isn't just a technical show fest (actually, a lot of periphery isn't!).

There are some bands coming through that definitely play very technical and it doesn't do much for me - even as a lover of technical music. I really enjoy some polyphia stuff (not djent) but it's always very musical and "poppy".

A new trend I'm noticing is reharmonisation - it's where guitarists have had some jazz lessons and learned instead of playing a C major - A minor back and forth, they can play Cmaj7add9 G7 Am7/Bb Emadd9. Or something - I can't remember but it was using chord intervals and turned a 2 or 3 chord progression into about a dozen chords. 

I have seen some classic pop songs beautifully rearranged for jazz, but sometimes it comes across as "look how clever this is, it still just sounds correct but it's using completely different chords that make it very hard to play". I want to learn more about reharmonising but I think there is a limit to where the music sounds catchy, interesting and beautiful and simply illogical and "technically okay". 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited January 2022
    It's Only Smiles is a banger of a song too, almost poppy. The main riff is quite hard to play but its really melodic and satisfying to listen to.

How about these two. Both definitely influenced by djent in places but very much their own thing. Especially Sleep Token.

Awesome vocals in both of those.
  • I cant get past the vocals in sleep token...reminds me of this shit fest

I quite like bands that are clearly djent inspired but I suppose are more metalcore stuff like this:

or this:

Not sure where I'd position stuff like this either..def a bit djenty but again wouldnt really call them "djent"

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    @TTBZ ;
    I don't think those sound djenty at all. The first one perhaps in the timbre of the instruments, but not what I associate with the genre.

@Nerine
    There's some, hmmm, 'freedom' when writing riffs we know we'll never have to play live, with no overdubs or guitarpro playing behind us, or being allowed to speed them up, etc.
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 292
    I was watching something the other day which suggested Skrillex and the like should be referred to as "Bro Strep" to differentiate it from the genre origins with stuff like Burial which is genuinely interesting and creative.
    J agree. Not necessarily on the bro step tag but I want them to be separate because I love Burial but don't like Skrillex and similar. They're both "dubstep" on paper but really they're like Whitesnake and Cattle Decapitation - they're both "metal" at their heart but they're nothing alike. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    stonevibe said:
    I prefer Djunt 
    No way! I much prefer Djont, it's much more cheery.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    mbe said:
    stonevibe said:
    I prefer Djunt 
    No way! I much prefer Djont, it's much more cheery.
    Surely that’d be 

Djaunty”
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    poopot said:
    …is just dubstep played on guitars!

discuss.

I like older dubstep (not the Skrillex style crap). I've not heard any Djent I like. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    poopot said:
    …is just dubstep played on guitars!

discuss.

I don't take orders.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    edited January 2022
    Used to love Periphery. Misha used to post all his demos on the MX Tabs forum in like 2005 and id never heard anything like it.

I went to one of their first UK shows and they turned up saying the singer had a cold so it would be instrumental only. Bit crap but can't be helped. He sang the last song and sounded perfect so when they came back I got a ticket again.
     This time they turned up with no drummer, and so just played a few songs that the drummer from the other band had been able to learn in time. Pissed me right off and I never listened to them again.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    It's not a genre I know a lot about but I liked what I heard by Rabea and started to take a bit more notice. I'd love to learn some of the chords he uses as they come out clearly but sound complex.

Since then I've listened to Karnivool but whilst not a Djent band, Altered Bridge are about as heavy as it gets for me.

A friend managed a band Fjokra who was just different but introduced elements of Djent into their songs and it's more or less one person playing everything: -

This one is like Cab Calloway meets Dirty Loops meets Djent

This one is more electronic that has some Djent towards the end

• All the right notes, not always in the right order!