Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Princeton for home use.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    ICBM said:

Also, not being loud enough, the stock Jensen speaker is a limitation, with a decent upgrade (Ragin cajun for example) it’s actually quite loud for the wattage.  
    There's also the 'Stokes mod' for the circuit which improves the clean headroom, although I've never tried that on a reissue so I don't know how easy it is on the PCB.
    I didn't do that mod, but changing the OT cleaned the bottom end up a bit, at perhaps the expense of a bit of compression and softer attack.

@ricklucas - how are you doing with my old one, that was a proper little beast when Gartone had finished with it.  Definitely no issue with that one and a load drummer!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwangyTwangy Frets: 0
    Thanks again for the comments.Im really only interested in clean tones so maybe I could take the plunge.
  • I had Vyse Amps build me a Princeton Reverb circuit and as the others have said, it's a really sweet sound at low-ish volumes and the reverb and trem are gorgeous as well.
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• This vid is Anysley Lister blasting away on a Princeton with some Probett guitars. I think it sounds great - definitely not clean - maybe a little cutting but I like that. Also clearly not TV level either :)

https://youtu.be/aeKt2gDRyNI

• RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 396
    ICBM said:

Also, not being loud enough, the stock Jensen speaker is a limitation, with a decent upgrade (Ragin cajun for example) it’s actually quite loud for the wattage.  
    There's also the 'Stokes mod' for the circuit which improves the clean headroom, although I've never tried that on a reissue so I don't know how easy it is on the PCB.
    I didn't do that mod, but changing the OT cleaned the bottom end up a bit, at perhaps the expense of a bit of compression and softer attack.

@ricklucas - how are you doing with my old one, that was a proper little beast when Gartone had finished with it.  Definitely no issue with that one and a load drummer!

Plenty loud for gigs even is that one. A cracker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    ICBM said:
    I did the Stokes mod but I had the advantage of working on a new eyelet board. I didn't fancy trying it on the PCB!
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1345
    How does the Vibrochamp compare? No reverb, but how close would one with a bigger speaker get?
    On a similar tip, does a bigger speaker improve the Princeton or does it just help with volume / projection at volume?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    GoFish said:
    How does the Vibrochamp compare? No reverb, but how close would one with a bigger speaker get?
    On a similar tip, does a bigger speaker improve the Princeton or does it just help with volume / projection at volume?
    The current Vibro Champ Reverb has the 10” speaker that gives that extra low end depth and warmth. And unsurprisingly has reverb too. Although electronic and emulating hall rather than springs. I think it’s one of the best sounding and most fun amps I’ve ever played. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got a 65 PRRI as my home amp.

You'll absolutely have to run it clean. It will not overdrive at sensible volumes. Thankfully clean Princeton plus drive pedals can sound glorious. Clean princeton definitely sounds glorious, at all volumes. 

That said, it does depend a bit on what you mean by "home volume". I do my playing when my wife and kids are awake and not when anyone is sleeping. I also play in a separate room to where other people are doing things. If you're one of these people who likes to watch the TV whilst noodling or who wants to chat to your partner whilst practicing you may want something a bit quieter. 

I would definitely buy another if it came to it. That said I would also fancy trying a TMDR Deluxe Reverb or even a valve Deluxe Reverb - I suspect any one of the three would be a great amp, you just need to pick the one for you. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    RickLucas said:
    ICBM said:

Plenty loud for gigs even is that one. A cracker.
    It’s like a mini Deluxe Reverb to be fair.  Put more weight on than me at Christmas that amp, will all the extra iron!
  • Just seen this thread.

@Twangy - I have been in exactly the same search as yourself, and tried out a few options along the way.

Took delivery of a ‘65 Princeton yesterday, and am very happy so far with its sound at home low volume. By that I mean sub 2 on the dial.

And no, it isn’t breaking up at all - but the clean sound still has an attack and bite that is great. FWIW, I gave the 68 Custom Vibrochamp a try, and found it to be too brittle in sound. That may be because it was new, or because of how it is. Nevertheless I struggled to get the sound I wanted at low volume (neither with a Vox AC10). 

But the ‘65 seems to be very versatile, capable of quiet and loud and very exciting to play (plus has an incredible tone). It does have a hum when using the reverb, though not as loud as the Vibrochamp’s idle noise floor.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
    edited January 2022
    @SPECTRUM001 at what point on the dial does the reverb hum become noticeable, and does it change in volume or character if you lift the amp up into a chair or/and move it to different places in the room or another room?

I found that mine can be sensitive to the ceiling spotlights in the room downstairs (when I’m in the room above) for instance, so I keep it about 2 feet off the floor in a particular spot furthest from where the lights are. At about 3 on the reverb dial there is a very quiet hum, it increases from there but isn’t really noticeable until I stop playing.

(I have also replaced the 12at7 reverb driver as it got weaker and noisier about 6 months after I got the amp)
  • Hi @noisepolluter - the hum starts quietly as soon as the reverb is activated and is noticeable from 3, getting steadily louder all the way to about 7 when it plateaus. Don’t think I would ever actually want the reverb beyond 4 or 5 - but it is too noisy beyond 5. Also has a low p-p-p-p-p when the vibrato is on.

Amp noise is quite a subjective thing though. The hum is less than playing volume, so not obvious or a problem until not playing - but then it can be heard across a silent room.

Tried moving rooms, sockets and elevated - with no difference. I also recognise that valve amps were not necessarily designed for ‘pin drop’ home use, and they do hiss and hum a bit. In this case, it is a brilliant amp with a hummy  reverb !

Done some online searches, and there are similar reports - noisy reverb from 3. So it is either part of the design, or a fault that can be addressed. The amp was recently serviced, so very tidy - clean pots, and valves - no crackle and highly responsive.

Tempted to ignore - but also would be nice to fix if there’s a known remedy…

What a fab amp !
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
    edited January 2022
    Hi @noisepolluter - the hum starts quietly as soon as the reverb is activated and is noticeable from 3, getting steadily louder all the way to about 7 when it plateaus. Don’t think I would ever actually want the reverb beyond 4 or 5 - but it is too noisy beyond 5. Also has a low p-p-p-p-p when the vibrato is on.

Amp noise is quite a subjective thing though. The hum is less than playing volume, so not obvious or a problem until not playing - but then it can be heard across a silent room.

Tried moving rooms, sockets and elevated - with no difference. I also recognise that valve amps were not necessarily designed for ‘pin drop’ home use, and they do hiss and hum a bit. In this case, it is a brilliant amp with a hummy  reverb !

Done some online searches, and there are similar reports - noisy reverb from 3. So it is either part of the design, or a fault that can be addressed. The amp was recently serviced, so very tidy - clean pots, and valves - no crackle and highly responsive.

Tempted to ignore - but also would be nice to fix if there’s a known remedy…

What a fab amp !
    That sounds about on a par with mine - reverb on anything above 4 is excessive for me taste wise anyway. Such are the joys of a valve powered spring reverb.

My deluxe reverb (90’s model I think) has a noticeably higher noise floor (reverb and circuit generally) and tremolo tick. I did use it at home for a while till I got the Princeton, now it’s round at my mate’s man cave which we use for rehearsing etc. Princeton by comparison is virtually silent in terms of extraneous noise.