Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pre CBS Strats - Or Not

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11561
    In the extremely unlikely event I'd want something of this nature, Fender would be more than happy to take a lot less money off me for a CS Strat which my family will be able to legitimately flog when I peg it.  Which would be pretty soon after purchase if I spent £15k on a guitar.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7163
    On their website the guys (and it looks as though it is only two of them) say that they only make a couple a year.  At that rate they won't put even a tiny dent in Fender's sales, especially if they charge an awful lot more than a custom shop Fender.  They are selling the guitars on the basis that they are reproductions of originals, which isn't in itself a fraudulent act, but by applying a trademarked logo and a faked serial number to a guitar they are leaving themselves wide open to fraud investigation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1391
    edited January 2022
    Christ, this was worse than one of those Trogly videos where he browses Reverb looking at Les Pauls. Unless I am missing something, the video seemed to be nothing more than a bloke reading the copy off a website. I was expecting at least some analysis of the 'fake' product even if the video maker is predictably too cheap to actually buy one of the guitars to demonstrate and examine. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14182
    tFB Trader
    RaymondLin said:
     I hear "Vintage is best", -  they don't make them like they used to".

The important point left out is that there is a LOT of crap, and I mean a LOT of crap guitars made back then -  What we tend to remember and what tend to stand the test of time are the good ones.  And these few good ones gave the impression that all the others from that era are also great.

Which is not true.
    I tend to agree - modified your quote just to suit my next sentence or two to exclude movies - But I know what you mean

'Old is better' is a phrase that started late 60's and early 70's - By a few players and early 'pioneers' of the 'new growing vintage market' - There was at the time merit in the comments - Look at late 60's + early 70's Norlin Era Gibson Guitar, then look at all the changes Fender had now applied to 70's Fenders, and to a degree some in the late 60's - By then both companies were now owned by bean counter accountants - Factory output had risen significantly - Build quality had dropped in so many areas of the guitars build - So yes there was a point to be made about old is better

Somehow that phrase has carried on - But IMO it has far less relevant meaning - As you say not all old guitars were good and the poor ones don't improve regarding their playability/tonal character - I admit that they'd still go up in value to appropriate buyers - Some old guitars do have magic in them - And it is such guitars that many companies/luthiers of all sizes like to analyse, with a view to replicating much of this mojo - In many ways the era of fine guitar building is with us today - Be it replicas or modern designed instruments 
    tFB Trader
    blueskunk said:
    @guitars4you ;
     how much do you think they are once all done and dusted? 
    not sure about price - I forgot to mention this on earlier reply

I can't see them asking under 5K - And if you told me 8 or 9K then I would not pass out - I don't mean they are worth that and they certainly do not appeal to me at 5K or 9K

But I can't see any logic in them making them for the same price as a CS model - But they have to be less than a player grade original which can be anywhere between 8K-15K now subject to changes

The only plus point I would offer them is that they appear to be dedicated to their craft/cause - It doesn't make it wrong/right - But it is a skill level I don't possess - So I can have some admiration for that side of their business 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    blueskunk said:
    @guitars4you ;

I can't see them asking under 5K - And if you told me 8 or 9K then I would not pass out - I don't mean they are worth that and they certainly do not appeal to me at 5K or 9K

But I can't see any logic in them making them for the same price as a CS model - But they have to be less than a player grade original which can be anywhere between 8K-15K now subject to changes

The only plus point I would offer them is that they appear to be dedicated to their craft/cause - It doesn't make it wrong/right - But it is a skill level I don't possess - So I can have some admiration for that side of their business 
    Thanks for the info on pricing. 

I agree about the dedication to the craft side of it / attention to detail , that’s what I found to be very interesting. 

As others have said, if I was going to spend big money  (for me about £2000) I’d be looking at a second hand custom shop. If I had more to spend, then brand new from the Custom Shop. 
    tFB Trader
    blueskunk said:
    blueskunk said:
    @guitars4you ;

Thanks for the info on pricing. 

I agree about the dedication to the craft side of it / attention to detail , that’s what I found to be very interesting. 

As others have said, if I was going to spend big money  (for me about £2000) I’d be looking at a second hand custom shop. If I had more to spend, then brand new from the Custom Shop. 
    remember the price is only a guesstimate on my part
  • Is this the place in Spain? If so, it was 4,500 euros in early 2020! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Is this the place in Spain? If so, it was 4,500 euros in early 2020! 
    So about brand new custom shop price. There has to a forum member on here who has had one, or got one currently. Let us know ! 

:)
    tFB Trader
    so pre Brexit that was around £3900 - But now need to add around 24% so that is around £4800 then add what ever costs need to be included to get to today's price - So maybe they are just north of a CS price
  • Is this the place in Spain? If so, it was 4,500 euros in early 2020! 
    so pre Brexit that was around £3900 - But now need to add around 24% so that is around £4800 then add what ever costs need to be included to get to today's price - So maybe they are just north of a CS price
    The EUR 4.5k would likely have included Spanish VAT at 21%, so subtract that before calculating the 24%
    tFB Trader
    The EUR 4.5k would likely have included Spanish VAT at 21%, so subtract that before calculating the 24%
    valid point but unsure if they are vat registered - I was using the 24% to cover vat/charges/duty/shipping but agree a loose guideline