Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

BBC Licence Fee to go in 2027

What's Hot

Comments

• Don't let the government take the BBC away: it is ours not theirs - sign the petition. I note that no one has said what the alternative funding model that would retain its impartiality as a national UK service, might be . . . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11562
    There is much that frustrates and occasionally infuriates me about the BBC.  But as a nation, we'd be hugely poorer without it.  It'd be cultural vandalism on a massive scale - even more so when people recognised that it was sacrificed in an effort to save the skin of a dough-arsed chancer and liar.  Because that's all this is - a deflection tactic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13567
    edited January 2022

No, I didn't care for the initial pitch & I'm glad I didn't, as the multiple 'Seasons' disease took hold, so the watching is almost never ending or else risk 'fear of missing out' . Season 4 is confirmed... yawn.

seasons 1 and 2 were superb, one of the best Beeb series ever. 3 not so.................and I agree, 4 may be (shit we need to keep this going, better release another........................................) so the jury's out for now, but Id personally kick myself if I hadnt watched 1 and 2, based on 3 (if that makes sense  :) ) straying OffT slightly - saying that Prison Break season 1 was great, 2 was shite, and 3 and 4 much better, so again, if I hadnt watched 3 and 4 based on how bad 2 was........... Id be upset. Always best to give it a chance, I eventually caved into the GoT madness (mostly cos Mrs Bert wanted the DVDs for her birthday) and really enjoyed it..................  didnt get 24 or Breaking Bad ,  tried but it was just "meh"  to me, same goes for a lot of the "americanised"  Netflix/Prime stuff   -  I actually enjoy things like Wurzel Gummage and Detectorists tho............ so.............. hmmmm  =)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18679
    edited January 2022
    ^ Fair points. It's great that we don't all like the same things, but if the BBC is 'ideologically re-educated' as Dorries & many tories would like, then we are all going to end up losers.

Dorries is the Dunning–Kruger effect made flesh...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Fair points. It's great that we don't all like the same things, but if the BBC is 'ideologically re-educated' as Dorries & many tories would like, then we are all going to end up losers.

as I said earlier,   I'll gladly pay the fee if they promise never to show Mrs Brown ever again
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4166
    bertie said:

as I said earlier,   I'll gladly pay the fee if they promise never to show Mrs Brown ever again
    I never understood the appeal either - but I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that it's one of those programs like Top Gear that earns the BBC, and the production company who made it, an absolute mint from franchising to other countries' networks.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    "I don't use it I don't want it to be compulsory to pay for it."

Like the Fire Brigade?
    The fire brigade don't send me threatening letters saying they don't believe there isn't a fire in my house and they need to come in to check.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Bearing in mind this is Dorries..

I will bet a shiny pound that in 2027 (if they are still in power) the "Licence Fee To the BBC" will go, but instead there will be an "anti-piracy Television ownership annual fee" instead.

Then we lose the BBC and we still get to pay for using a telly.
    Actually yeah leave it as it is because this is certainly what will happen. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24201
    edited January 2022
    DefaultM said:

Like the Fire Brigade?
    The fire brigade don't send me threatening letters saying they don't believe there isn't a fire in my house and they need to come in to check.

As it happens they do have the power to enter your property if they want to investigate a fire or they think there is a sufficient risk of one. Even if you deny it.

Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    I think the problem people have is that the BBC exists to be a public service broadcaster, it's remit is to provide for the greater good TV, Radio and internet services that are as much as possible objective and independent, supporting cultural imperatives where something provides depth or the obscure, not the commercial. 

This provides a significant issue where the perception is that a public service broadcaster provides no value if you don't like it personally.  The problem is, you don't know what you've got until it's gone.  The BBC is not Netflix.

Certainly off the top of my head I would worry for the following things that are important for our cultural and democratic systems that the BBC provides which would have little commercial value: -

BBC Radio 3
    BBC Radio 6Music
    BBC World Service
    BBC News
    BBC News Website
    The Proms
    BBC Local Radio
    BBC Natural History Unit

As money drives the other news providers in the UK, they are almost overwhelmingly right-wing biased as they are owned by very wealthy individuals who have a personal interest in right-wing politics ruling the roost.

The BBC is often accused of being left-wing by right wingers and right wing by left wingers... so I'd argue it's probably getting it's objectivity right. 

The polarisation at either end is killing our entire system, and if we lost BBC News it would be one more step towards the UK becoming "Shit America".

The TV license may need some modification, but if the BBC is not funded in a way that allows it to remain a significant force in UK broadcasting, not something like PBS in America, then we will potentially lose a powerful force for balance and ultimately good in the UK.

The Tories would like nothing more for the BBC to disappear as that would mean everyone who is left supports them unconditionally (except the Guardian...), it would lead to a permanent and irreversible swing to the right in UK politics purely from the lack of anyone else with a "neutral" remit.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:

Like the Fire Brigade?

As it happens they do have the power to enter your property if they want to investigate a fire or they think there is a sufficient risk of one. Even if you deny it.

Bloody nanny state  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the trouble is, the British public as a whole do not like doing anything for the "greater good", so if it does go then a bit like Brexit and the Tory gov, it's exactly what the country deserves
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    DefaultM said:

Like the Fire Brigade?

Bloody nanny state  ;)

I bet if the Fire Brigade was a separate fee like the telly there would be loads not paying it but still demanding that the FB came round and sorted it out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:

Like the Fire Brigade?

2nd point...

This could be solved by a better investigation system rather than getting rid of it then.
    No allegations without evidence etc.

There we go. Solved.
    edited January 2022
    it but still demanding that the FB came round and sorted it out.
    but if they didnt,   Roy Wood

edited January 2022
    "I bet if the Fire Brigade was a separate fee like the telly there would be loads not paying it but still demanding that the FB came round and sorted it out."

Very true. I have been trying for years to get the Police contribution removed from my Council tax as I never use them, they closed all the local stations & they keep picking on me for no good reason. 
    No joy yet 
    bertie said:
    but if they didnt,   Ron Wood
    Am I too young to get that?

DefaultM said:

Like the Fire Brigade?

Wouldn't that just be to protect them in case of things like a neighbour reporting a fire while you're on holiday, and you can't sue them for kicking your door in?

I don't see why I should tell the BBC I'm not watching live TV, and then they regularly send me threatening letters. One I got the other week, "January 12th will you be home? We could be coming round then or any other day to check you're not illegally watching TV".
    Then the language inside them is so ambiguous about when you'd need a licence. I had one that says you need one if you have Amazon Prime. I checked and you don't at all.
    It's all designed to confuse you about what the rules are, so you just say ah fuck I'll just have to get it so they leave me alone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2022
    bertie said:

nothing to see except a mahoosive 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    bertie said:
    bertie said:

no just too stupid  ;)     LOL   

Ron Wood, The Move,  Fire brigade 
    Or even ROY Wood  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom