Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    When an apprentice doesn't understand the instructions but they sell the guitar anyway...

Would actually look OK on a Flying V.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited January 2022
    Repair does look excellent. 

Perhaps the neck inlays were done that way because the flame is sort of reversed?
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25022
    Is it actually a neck repair, or have they scarf-jointed the old headstock onto a new neck (or vice versa)?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Is it actually a neck repair, or have they scarf-jointed the old headstock onto a new neck (or vice versa)?
    That's a very good point. The headstock looks original, but the finish and wood grain on the back of the neck section looks odd, and not like a Gibson. If it's had a *neck* replacement including a new fingerboard, but re-using the original headstock, perhaps the luthier reversed the inlays intentionally as a 'signature' or a sort of visual joke.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20527
    Just me that finds the markings on the sofa/settee far more disturbing that the inverted trapezoids ...? 
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 400
    Call me wierd, but it was the backwards flame my eyes were drawn to. I didn't even look at the fretboard inlays until I read the comments!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2525
    Just me that finds the markings on the sofa/settee far more disturbing that the inverted trapezoids ...? 

Shall we just hope that the owner was a huge Oasis fan in their teens?
  • erueru Frets: 53
    jca74 said:
    Call me wierd, but it was the backwards flame my eyes were drawn to. I didn't even look at the fretboard inlays until I read the comments!

Same here, I couldn't find anything else upside-down looking about it.

• sawyersawyer Frets: 733
    Does deffo look like a scarf joint. Very odd mystery guitar. Would be interesting to know the story behind this.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4155
    £1,595…
  • I like the idea of a Gibson with a well done scarf joint. If it plays well, that guitar looks like a nice Gibson to own.
    sawyer said:
    Does deffo look like a scarf joint. Very odd mystery guitar. Would be interesting to know the story behind this.
    It's undoubtedly a scarf joint. The question is which part is original - and if it's the headstock, is there actually another repair in the more usual place behind the nut... or is it just a dark grain line.

• Why am I getting seasickness from just looking at that LP?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had to look at that twice lol
    Weird, think it would be cool if it was a solid finish and just the lefty board on a righty
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8085

I'm intrigued as to what the neck is made of, the big contrast in colour and lack of grain suggests it's either been painted (why?) or it's maybe maple (or painted maple ;) ) ?

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Paul_C said:

I'm intrigued as to what the neck is made of, the big contrast in colour and lack of grain suggests it's either been painted (why?) or it's maybe maple (or painted maple ;) ) ?

Headstock repair, if you look at the back of the headstock you can just make out the cracked area that now looks like a faint black line
  • I’ll just say this quietly but the inlays look better that way round. I’ve always thought guitars have a natural “direction” towards the headstock and the inlays emphasise that. Or something…
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 13682
    DLM said:

Shall we just hope that the owner was a huge Oasis fan in their teens?

That's the reason for my profile pic guitar, I'd like to clarify...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    What is wrong with the guitar?  I can’t see the problem with it, I am not a Gibson expert, if it plays well and is OK structurally, it is and looks a decent guitar. 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's handy that it still fits into the "Right way up" case though  =)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.