Amazing albums you own that you have somehow forgotten about?

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
edited January 2022 in Music
Saw a guy wearing a Spiritualized 'Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space' t shirt today and realised that I haven't listened to that album in probably over 10 years despite owning the CD and playing it for years when it first came out.

I blame streaming.

What you got?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28453
    I can't think of anything that I've forgotten about.
    :(
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That Spiritualized album had such great packaging!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    That Spiritualized album had such great packaging!

Yeah my mate had the full blister pill pack version and it looked fabulous. I just had the lowly plain plastic CD box.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    For me the second album I ever bought. I got it on vinyl but I’ve not had a working turntable for over 20 years. I finally got a CD last year and I think it is brilliant, the best album by the band for me. It has some amazing songs, is varied and interesting with quite brilliant guitar tones throughout. The band, Queen, the album News of the world. I think that Spread your wings is one of the hidden gems of their career, a passionate vocal from Freddie, and once again a guitar solo tone to die for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    Queen were my band growing up. I always rated A Day at the Races and News of the World above the rest but I haven't listened to either in years. Two more for the list!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    Funny that, I chanced upon an article the other day in IIRC an oldish Mojo magazine about Annette Peacock and that she was re-releasing her 1979 album 'The Perfect Release'.  I wasn't sure if I still owned the record, so decided to look through my old  vinyl collection and bingo , it was there. It's probably more than 30 years since I've listened to it. It's still as good as I remember.  :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1375
    edited January 2022
    TTony said:
    I can't think of anything that I've forgotten about.
    And as Barry Cryer once mused "I've reached that age where I don't buy green bananas".  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    DiscoStu said:
    Queen were my band growing up. I always rated A Day at the Races and News of the World above the rest but I haven't listened to either in years. Two more for the list!
    NotW is superb as they ditched the OTT production and went for a much more basic sound, which worked in spades. Honestly, as I mentioned, Brian's guitar tones are the best of his career on that album. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    This week I have been mostly listening to ….

Sky2
  • Great thread.
    Fountains of Wayne , and Presidents of the United States self titled debut albums are both excellent . Listened to them hundreds of times but haven't listened to them in maybe 10 years. Off to give them a spin now. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4499
    DiscoStu said:
    That Spiritualized album had such great packaging!

Yeah my mate had the full blister pill pack version and it looked fabulous. I just had the lowly plain plastic CD box.
    I worked for a mail order record shop when that came out.

We far preferred the lowly plain plastic jewel case. The fancy ones were a nightmare to pack and ship without damage.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Stumbled upon '59 sound by the gaslight anthem recently. A real favourite for years and what a record
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    edited February 2022
    I can't remember which ones I have forgotten.... but I'm sure if I looked I'd find a few gems and a few stinkers.

I may [cough] have mentioned that I'm a bit of a hoarder... so there are things that I've forgotten about, but I might conceivably see them on a shelf and be reminded of them.  There are other, more recent, purchases which got put on a pile somewhere, unplayed, then were buried under other stuff.  So not only have I - temporarily, as it were - forgotten I own them, I've forgotten I ever bought them.  I bet it will turn out there are some things I've bought two or three times.

DiscoStu said:
    I blame streaming.
    Streaming has actually encouraged me to listen to a lot of old stuff, just as much as it's encouraged me to investigate new stuff.  It's all so available.

Although my planned Neil Young/Joni Mitchell celebration in February has gone out of the window...
  • Superwombling by The Wombles. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Beggars banquet
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 1042
    edited February 2022
    DiscoStu said:
    Saw a guy wearing a Spiritualized 'Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space' t shirt today and realised that I haven't listened to that album in probably over 10 years despite owning the CD and playing it for years when it first came out.

I blame streaming.

What you got?
    Such a great record. I remember seeing them in Glastonbury in 98 when they were touring Ladies and Gentlemen...... an incredible live show. 

I think I am going to revisit thank you @DiscoStu ;

You can't beat a deep dig in the the old CD boxes - I've gone through a mid to late 90's dance nostalgia trip recently an d pulled out these brilliant albums - How to operate with a blown mind - Lo Fidelity Allstars, Leftism - Leftfield, Shoot the boss - Monkey Mafia, New forms - Roni Size and accept the signal by Regular Fries 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    Stumbled upon '59 sound by the gaslight anthem recently. A real favourite for years and what a record
    That’s is a very good call, as is there back catakougue

But it’s weird I am sure that came out only last year …..

on a different thought, they have some great songs which go down well on open mics, and short set gigs that no-one has heard of 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
    ABC - The Lexicon of Love
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 163
    edited February 2022
    STYX - The Grand Illusion
    FLETWOOD MAC - Tusk (Double Album)

Vinyl  records that I bought circa 1979 / 1980.

'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • Superwombling by The Wombles. 
    Superb parody of Rick Wakeman's concept albums on there, more fun (and a lot shorter) than the real thing. And a very good Bond parody, when hardly anyone had done them.