Which scratchplate?

My challenge entry, I cant decide which scratchplate to go for…..Imagine its black….thoughts?

This?

or this?

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1581
    I'd go for the second one, as it is more like the Melody Maker shape.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Neither. I would shape it to avoid the tailpiece... I don't think it's ever a great idea to have hardware over the top of a pickguard.

Of the two shapes at the neck end I prefer the first (non-Melody Maker-like) one though. I've always thought the MM ones were ugly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• davrosdavros Frets: 1524
    I prefer number 2, but with a smaller section for the controls that avoids the trem
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    ICBM said:
    Neither. I would shape it to avoid the tailpiece... I don't think it's ever a great idea to have hardware over the top of a pickguard.

Of the two shapes at the neck end I prefer the first (non-Melody Maker-like) one though. I've always thought the MM ones were ugly.

Its actually shaped to go round the trem….the trem sits flat to the body…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    ICBM said:
    I don't think it's ever a great idea to have hardware over the top of a pickguard.
    This!

I own a 1965 mk3 Melody Maker with the short Vibrola tailpiece. 

If I leave the arm on, it fouls the control knobs and a straight jack plug into the output socket.

If I remove the arm, this exposes the fugly divot left in the pickguard by the bolt thread on the rear of the arm and string anchor assembly. 

I cannot tell you how much I wish that my Gibson only had the wraparound "lightning bolt" bridge/tailpiece.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.