Black Stone Cherry - Hell yea

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1474
Having heard I track on some random playlist, I randomly sampled BSC and took a punt on a CD…. And bought the self titled debut.

Fuck me, what an absolute rocker. Superb stuff. Been on repeat all evening! Only wish I could turn it up.

Thoughts and info on all things BSC welcome here to the uninitiated 
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    Aren't they great?
    I had to learn 'Blind Man' for a gig and loved the track, the riff etc and started listening to more. Apparently, live, they deliver, too :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
    They're mostly a hoot. They did go through a phase live of having too much audience participation (like, about half the set), which is a bug bear of mine - I've come to see you buggers play the songs, not sing them myself. But they're good live, and they usually have good support too (Shinedown, Cadillac Three, Theory of a Deadman etc.). They also tend to do a good mix of venues - Wembley Arena and similar on one tour, then smaller places like The Forum, Brixton Academy etc. on others.

Pandemic aside they're over in the UK quite a lot, so if you're within range of one of the more main cities they're fairly accessible.

Albums up to and including Between the Devil & The Deep Blue Sea are good. Magic Mountain, Back To The Blues and Kentucky I can take or leave. Human Condition is a bit more on form.
  • Cracking band live.
    Seen them a few times in Manchester and always had a ball.
    First three albums are my favourites with riffs a plenty throughout.
  • I've seen them a few times in various venues, mainly supporting Alter Bridge before they were headlining arenas on their own. If you like the self titled, you'll like the 2nd album. The Devil and the Deep Blue see leaned a little more towards some pop elements and the vibe changed a bit - still good though. I stopped after Magic Mountain but will have to check out the newer stuff.

Live they are normally great, really energetic performances. The drummer does get a little excited at times though and a lot of the songs seem a bit rushed. I am glad to hear that have toned down the audience participation! 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25573
    Chris Robertson is a nice guy - he uses a Helix for all his live tones and is an active member of the big Facebook Helix group, and actually shares the patches he uses live.

(and then people moan that the patches don't sound the same in the lounge through their 500W single cone powered monitor compared to BSC's stadium PA system....)

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    It's been a very long time since I listened to them, but I really liked the first album, played it loads, then wasn't so keen on the second.  And as I sometimes do, I immediately lost interest.  I should give them another go.

They do that kind of bluesy hard rock which, for me, has to rock really, really hard, or I get bored.  Bands of that type often start straying into blues, country or (gag) Americana territory... and then they've lost me. 
  • I only know that first album, but I love it. 

Only I made the mistake of listening closely enough to "Backwoods Gold" that I heard all the edits in the vocal on the choruses.

It's like what people thought Def Leppard did in the 80s- one or two words at a time chopped together. Can't listen to that one any more.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Albums 1, 2, 4 & 6 are excellent. I really don't dig 3 and 5 (Kentucky and Human Condition)

Those two sound so forced, over produced and soulless IMHO.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
    Er, Kentucky is #5 and Human Condition is #7.
  • First two are great. 

My favourite song though is that Big Train Rolling down the tracks one ! 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 947
    I discovered them quite a few years back (maybe even 16-17 years) when a guy played Lonely Train at a jam night.

Then saw them supporting I think Alterbridge at Wembley maybe 10 years ago? So ended up buying all of there albums and  lovin' the music.

Then BSC was my first live gig last year post lockdown at the Royal Albert Hall which was amazing! 
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 947
    First two are great. 

My favourite song though is that Big Train Rolling down the tracks one ! 
    It's called Lonely Train. Man it gives me chills. 

Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom