RF CUSTOM - 'New' UK Sprayshop!

What's Hot
Hi folks

I wanted to inform you that Rob Fleet, former spray shop and CNC manager at SimS Guitars in Ashford Kent, has now set up his own shop after the announcement of SimS closing its doors. Some of you would have already dealt with Rob whilst he was at SimS for the last 18 years or so. Rob handled all spray work and CNC machinery of bodies, necks and pick guards, and also machines all my bodies, necks and guards for my vintage spec guitars Ince MB Guitars started.

He is now offering these services under his own company RF Custom, so please do reach out to Rob if you were looking for custom paint / refinishing work or a new custom guitar body, neck or pickguard.

I worked with Rob for many years at SimS and we have worked on a lot of great projects over the years and his attention to detail is incredible, he is considered one of, if not the best in the country, and he is very reliable! 

Below are a few example of his spray work and there's more info and pics of his website: rfcustom.co.uk 

">

">

">

Thanks!
Mike Bowes, M.B. Guitars
www.mbguitars.co.uk
INSTAGRAM
0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Do you happen to know whether Rob uses nitro or poly, or would it vary from job to job?
    I bought a guitar yesterday from a member on here which has been refinished by Sims; I guess it must have been Rob that did it, and I want to know whether I need to take any specific care of it. It doesn't smell like nitro...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He does polyester, acrylic and nitro. If its a glass like finish then its probably Polyester. Maybe post a pic of the guitar and Rob may chime in and let you know what it is.
    Mike Bowes, M.B. Guitars
    www.mbguitars.co.uk
    INSTAGRAM
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He certainly has metallic flake game. Super slick. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1405
    Bloody hell. Good work there
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11769
    tFB Trader
    MikeBowes said:

">

Thanks!
    That one was done for us.

Rob has sprayed a number of our guitars in the last 5 years and very good results....
    Here are some recent ones on guitars we have up for sale 

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1379
    edited February 2022
    MikeBowes said:

">

Thanks!

Geri Halliwell Strat. Spicy!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4265
    edited February 2022
    MikeBowes said:
    He does polyester, acrylic and nitro. If its a glass like finish then its probably Polyester. Maybe post a pic of the guitar and Rob may chime in and let you know what it is.
    This is the guitar. It's fairly glassy, so I'm guessing polyester. Rob if you're watching this thread can you confirm?

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Hi there, the orange Charvel guitar was top coated in 2k Acrylic and from memory I sprayed this in 2020.

I would normally top coat with polyester where possible, as its the cheaper option for the customer, but with this colour choice I thought the poly would alter the orange too much. The poly has a slight yellow/brown tint to it, that usually isn't a problem, but some colours just require and need the Acrylic.
  • RobFleet said:
    Hi there, the orange Charvel guitar was top coated in 2k Acrylic and from memory I sprayed this in 2020.

I would normally top coat with polyester where possible, as its the cheaper option for the customer, but with this colour choice I thought the poly would alter the orange too much. The poly has a slight yellow/brown tint to it, that usually isn't a problem, but some colours just require and need the Acrylic.
    Brilliant, thanks for that. I presume acrylic is similar to poly in terms of whether it will react with stands, and things like that?

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    MikeBowes said:
    He does polyester, acrylic and nitro. If its a glass like finish then its probably Polyester. Maybe post a pic of the guitar and Rob may chime in and let you know what it is.
    This is the guitar. It's fairly glassy, so I'm guessing polyester. Rob if you're watching this thread can you confirm?

Nice Kerry :)
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    MikeBowes said:

Thanks!

Rob has sprayed a number of our guitars in the last 5 years and very good results....

Please put a warning before putting a pic like this up, I now have serious Gas and need to find a few grand to cure it. That is just the best looking Tele I think I have ever seen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunk said:
    MikeBowes said:

Nice Kerry :)
    Thanks dude! Has the wah turned up yet?

I can certainly vouch for the quality of @RobFleet's work: the finish on my guitar is absolutely perfect. If it wasn't for the fact that Charvel don't do it in this colour I'd have had no idea that it was a refinish :+1: 

• Jim54Jim54 Frets: 257
    Having never looked into guitar refinishing, what's the approx cost for a job like this (in a basic colour rather than some of the flashier ones)? 

• ^ Amazing :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For a job like the orange Charvel, which was spraying over the top of a brand new guitar body ( no stripping ), the cost would be in the region of £365 for a solid colour with an Acrylic top coat. If a body needed stripping, the cost would be about £95.

Rob
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    edited February 2022
    Out of interest @RobFleet and as a project for later in the year, would you spray something non-guitar? 

I wanted to get a cool paint job on my Fuzz Face enclosure at some point. Sort of thinking metallic racing green with a gold or yellow stripe. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • I wouldn't rule out spraying something that isn't a guitar, but for metal surfaces like guitar pedals, I imagine I would need to use a different top coat, maybe a car lacquer. Its not something I've ever got involved with, but If you are still looking at this later in the year, please feel free to contact me and ill look at getting a quote to you. 

Thanks

Rob.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    Lovely cheers Rob will do. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11769
    tFB Trader
    CE1 said:
    MikeBowes said:

Thanks!

Please put a warning before putting a pic like this up, I now have serious Gas and need to find a few grand to cure it. That is just the best looking Tele I think I have ever seen.
    @CE1 Sorry about that - it is a handsome beast and Rob did a great job with the colour

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CE1CE1 Frets: 567
    CE1 said:
    MikeBowes said:

Thanks!

@CE1 Sorry about that - it is a handsome beast and Rob did a great job with the colour

Wow! I don’t suppose you need a kidney by my chance?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom