Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Troglys Guitar Show

What's Hot

Comments

• DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    I like the guy. To me, he's the Jimmy Stewart of the guitar video world, and I enjoy his folksy approach. He's not a particularly flashy guitarist, but he doesn't have to be. He's found a niche for himself and is making a nice living buying and selling guitars and capitalizing on his knowledge without the added burden of having a brick & mortar store. I have subscribed to his videos and watch most of them in my own time. 
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Devil#20 said:
    Yup, discovered him recently while he was unboxing the set of LP's in limited edition colours he'd just got. Quite in to his channel now. 
    Weren't half of them damaged in transit. Stuffed end pins etc. His voice gets on my tits. 
    One thing Id like to see, would be a day in the life episode. Theres no way he works alone anymore, but even then theres not enough hours in the day. Videos lately he has his hoody over his hands which makes me think its someone else doing some of the footage  
    He probably has an editor.  He has been shooting 1 video a day, same format, for years.  Plus some of the content are nothing more than looking on the Gibson Mod shop and commentating over it as he goes along.  Probably an hour to 90mins looking and recording.  Then he can do an video unboxing 5 guitars.  He can also unbox like 20 guitars a day, record them all, split it into 3-4 videos.  And then have it in the backlog and have 3 days off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • First and foremost he is as seller. He is often guilty of creating his own hype over things and doesn't really understand value in my opinion, but people must fall for it.

Must do well though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I can’t get past his voice unfortunately. My fault not his
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 13888
    I can’t get past his voice unfortunately. My fault not his
    I wouldn't say that.
  • i always thought the guitars were a side-gig - but he does have some spectacular ones in his 'private collection' as he calls it. Good on him for making a living out of it - if he is.

Wish he'd do guitars beyond Fender and Gibson though - but i assume he sticks mainly to them as he's got a bit of knowledge about them and their manufacturing history
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 167
    Harmless , and does give good real life tips on boxing guitars , he does seem to get some really rough/damaged ones, more than I would have thought would happen randomly.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    He's okay. Some of the oddball stuff is nice to see. I dont really need to see another 59 reissue.

I think he said in one of his other videos that he spends all of his money on guitars. Doesn't really care what he looks like clothes wise or the car he drives etc. 
    I'm sure if we all did that we could buy a nice lester or two. He also has invested money in high quality video  recording. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    Devil#20 said:
    Yup, discovered him recently while he was unboxing the set of LP's in limited edition colours he'd just got. Quite in to his channel now. 
    Weren't half of them damaged in transit. Stuffed end pins etc. His voice gets on my tits. 
    One thing Id like to see, would be a day in the life episode. Theres no way he works alone anymore, but even then theres not enough hours in the day. Videos lately he has his hoody over his hands which makes me think its someone else doing some of the footage  
    I've noticed that in the last few days, I wondered if he was just being super careful about messing up the guitars.  

Anyway, I like his channel.  Except the last few months he's been doing those Gibson Mod Shop/Demo Shop videos a couple of times a week, I find them tedious - especially since most of the guitars are one-offs which have already been sold.
  • Offset said:
    I watch occasionally when he's reviewing something I find interesting, but I have to get over the fact I find him intensely irritating.  The only YouTube guitar reviewer I actively like is Phillip McKnight.  He's very knowledgeable on all things guitar, has a relaxed presentation style and genuinely seems like a good egg.  Trogly just comes across as a bit of a pecker from my perspective.
    I find this a bit too. I'm sure he's a nice lad but I do find him a bit irritating myself. His channel is very watchable at times even so. Phillip McKnight is excellent and the fact he time stamps his chat videos means I can skip the stuff I have no interest in.
  • Devil#20 said:
    Yep, most of them had discolouration on the neck from wall hangers.
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10577
    AsterixTG said:
    Sassafras said:
    First one I googled was an unboxing one - FUCK OFF!

I'm guessing it's so he can show/prove that any damage to guitars was caused before his involvement so he can return if not sold as advertised, but also to create a reveal.

Wouldn’t be evidence really. If it was you could take a guitar out of a case, damage it and put it back in the box, and then do an unboxing video. 
    I am not sure he can control things like hanger rash for a used 30 year old guitar.  Nor can he control neck breaks in transit...which to be honest, it doesn't happen THAT often in terms of the volume he buys.  I can recall may be a handful of times.  Which is nothing really in all those videos.

I don't think he is recording it as evidence, PayPal will take you on your word on it anyway if it's faulty or broken.  He does it mostly for content.  

If I learn anything, is how to pack a guitar for shipping from his unboxing.
  • Excitable boy. Too many exclamation marks, too much drama.

He has a Patreon for viewers to support his channel. If Gibson had thought of that, they might have avoided filing for Chapter 11.
  • Litterick said:
    Excitable boy. Too many exclamation marks, too much drama.

He has a Patreon for viewers to support his channel. If Gibson had thought of that, they might have avoided filing for Chapter 11.
    I wonder how often Gibson/Epiphone/Sweetwater etc are paying him/sponsoring him? 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    edited February 2022
    Has anyone looked at Trogly's website?  Given how meticulous he is describing the guitars in his videos, the website is really poor and underdeveloped.  It seems almost like he set it up, put in the bare minimum of information, then abandoned it.  He should get someone else to run it for him.

https://troglysguitarshow.com/
  • Litterick said:

I wonder how often Gibson/Epiphone/Sweetwater etc are paying him/sponsoring him? 
    He does alway mention sponsors/discounts etc whenever they do.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7398
    Litterick said:

They have to as part of YouTube’s T&Cs. Though some are dodgy and say “this isn’t a paid review but I got given the kit for free” - um that’s payment dude!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    edited February 2022
    mrkb said:
    Litterick said:

They have to as part of YouTube’s T&Cs. Though some are dodgy and say “this isn’t a paid review but I got given the kit for free” - um that’s payment dude!
    My mind immediately goes to Rhett Shull...lol, his video last week with the Marshall was given free to him.  He mentioned it as part of the story telling rather than disclosing it as a sponsorship.

He actually does it a lot with new gear releases.
  • Litterick said:

I still think something is going on with Gibson or he is getting a deal with them. Either way fair play, but essentially he is just a middle man.

Also, what kind of credibility would you think his valuations hold?

https://troglysguitarshow.com/help-appraisals/