Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Troglys Guitar Show

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    ^^^ not much, but with anything I would do consider it as a part of my research, as opposed to the final word on the matter.  Like a 2nd opinion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • He did a video on one of my "projects" about a year or so ago. He got a few facts wrong but it was a nice surprise to see the video appear out of nowhere.

His voice is a bit grating but there are far more annoying "what. Is. Upguys. With that being said, let's get into this tutorial on how to string your guitar. Smash that like and subscribe button and let's go" YouTubers than him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I really like the Trogly vids. 

Given how slow and detailed they are, I always assumed they were for thickos like me  - as in he explains things in a nice simple way, and gives out novice info and advice that seems to be very useful.

I always thought the guitar scholars who know what they are taking about, and can actually play  would find him laughable…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like it when I find an oddball guitar, and when I look for info on it he's actually got a video. I think, with his level of obvious enthusiasm, it would be remiss to dismiss his videos.

I watch maybe one of them every few months or so.

I would love it if he started branching out into some really weird stuff, but he seems to have found his home with Gibson and Fender. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1212
    I enjoy dipping in to it now and again. And strangely I always like to see if he likes the guitar or not - even if I don’t really give much weight to his opinion.

But a great channel to check out the guitars that we might be GASing for.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7680
    Litterick said:
    Excitable boy. Too many exclamation marks, too much drama.

He has a Patreon for viewers to support his channel. If Gibson had thought of that, they might have avoided filing for Chapter 11.
    I wonder how often Gibson/Epiphone/Sweetwater etc are paying him/sponsoring him? 
    He does alway mention sponsors/discounts etc whenever they do.
    I still think something is going on with Gibson or he is getting a deal with them. Either way fair play, but essentially he is just a middle man.

Also, what kind of credibility would you think his valuations hold?

https://troglysguitarshow.com/help-appraisals/
    This is what I don't get. Fair enough if he wants to offer it, but why would someone take him up on it?

"I've paid to have this valued by a youtuber" surely doesn't hold much weight in the first place. If I then looked through his videos and saw he's bought a fair few fake Gibsons, one of them over 10k and he didn't realise it was fake until he tried to sell it on and someone else told him... Yeah... it's not an opinion I'd be thinking very highly of.
  • DefaultM said:
    Litterick said:

He has a Patreon for viewers to support his channel. If Gibson had thought of that, they might have avoided filing for Chapter 11.
    I wonder how often Gibson/Epiphone/Sweetwater etc are paying him/sponsoring him? 
    I still think something is going on with Gibson or he is getting a deal with them. Either way fair play, but essentially he is just a middle man.

This is what I don't get. Fair enough if he wants to offer it, but why would someone take him up on it?

"I've paid to have this valued by a youtuber" surely doesn't hold much weight in the first place. If I then looked through his videos and saw he's bought a fair few fake Gibsons, one of them over 10k and he didn't realise it was fake until he tried to sell it on and someone else told him... Yeah... it's not an opinion I'd be thinking very highly of.
    Also, he has mad ideas about value, usually when he owns something that is now out of production....basically trying to create his own market hype!
  • I have always wondered how close his values are to the real world as I've never seen anybody rebut his values. It seems he may be a bit according to some knowledgeable folks here. Having said that he does cater mostly to the US market so maybe this influences his valuations and opinions?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    I would imagine his valuations are pretty accurate because he spends a great deal of time looking for guitars and studying the market.  As for "credibility", I doubt his valuations are being used for anything formal like insurance or probate purposes, people just want to know how much their guitars might sell for.

I do think there's a significant tendency to look down on the guy because he's a self-taught enthusiast with a nerdy voice, and not an amazing player or a vintage cork-sniffer.  To me, he seems very knowledgeable, if only about the particular guitars which interest him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I never bother watching his playing demos but I have found some of his reviews quite interesting. His business model is fairly simple, and critics can carp about this and that, but he is out there doing it and seemingly making quite a success out of it. That he can order multiple $10k+ special edition guitars and then stick them on a workbench and happily take them apart suggests he is making a decent amount of money from this venture.

If anyone thinks they can do it better or that they have a more marketable knowledge of Gibson guitars, why not give it a go? 
  • DefaultM said:
    Litterick said:

Also, he has mad ideas about value, usually when he owns something that is now out of production....basically trying to create his own market hype!
    I think there is a slight element of that, but I can imagine his market is wealthy individuals who are looking for the ultra rare. I seem to recall he has sold whole 'collections' of series of instruments, 5 or 6 guitars all with similar features, to collectors fairly easily. 

The 58 RI Explorer he sold last year was one of Reverbs priciest items sold.