Cover challenge 18 - the letter “E”

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
edited February 2022 in Making Music
Onto the next one then!…

the last cover challenge winner @imc1980 has chosen:

”Everlong” by the Foo fighters…

However, as with previous challenges you can choose any song beginning with the letter “E

But… if you cover either the chosen track you will automatically receive a bonus 5pts as a head start…

And in a bizarre twist… if anyone does “Easy” by the commodores they start with -10 pts… so it better be bloody good!…

RULES:

Entries to be sent in mp3 format to the following Email address:

covers@thefretboard.co.uk

You may wish to submit artwork to go with your entry. It brightens up the playlist and might subliminally get you more votes but it's not mandatory. 

Entries close at 11.30pm on Friday 1st April 2022... get cracking fools!!!!

A playlist (below) of all the entries will also be posted in the voting thread. Vote for your top 3 with 5 points awarded  for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place. Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for their own entry. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hahaha. Brilliant.

-10 points it is then

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Two good songs. Nice one.
    A proto industrial version of Easy might be challenge too far, so I reckon it's Everlong, in some sort of electronic/glitch format. 
    Hmm, that's got me thinking......
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    edited February 2022
    I'll pass on the NDH industrial as I don't want to do 2 in a row. It's a shame as Einfach (wie Sonntagmorgen) would have worked brilliantly with the Rammstein formula and it's not often that the German word is the same letter

But if DHL behave themselves today then I'll have a midi keyboard so might as well do something electronic without needing to write everything in the grid. Should have done that years ago!
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 251
    I've chosen something that will start me (and probably end me) on 0, but at least that's 10 points more than if I'd taken the Easy option. As for Everlong, I didn't really know it.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    I'm going to try for a crack at this one (although not Everlong, so I'm expecting a 0 point entry). If I really need to hide from my wife and the new dog I might even turn in two. Or nothing. Life is complicated.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Snags said:
    I'm going to try for a crack at this one (although not Everlong, so I'm expecting a 0 point entry). If I really need to hide from my wife and the new dog I might even turn in two. Or nothing. Life is complicated.
    Do it… you have mancave and no excuses
  • Snags said:
    I'll do two if you also swear to do two

You can't let me down now ;)
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    poopot said:
    Snags said:
    Do it… you have mancave and no excuses

I have man cave and an unlimited supply of excuses!

Snags said:
    I'll do two if you also swear to do two

You can't let me down now ;)

I'll aim for two. I've identified a short list of three, and no-one will like any of them, so I reckon I'm on to a winner.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I am part way through Everlong. I have managed to weave in some Peter Hook style bass so far. And synths.
  • Sent.

Cover of Easy in the style of Napalm Death - just because it had to be done. By far the hardest track I've ever tried to mix. You might just make out the I-IV-II chord structure if you listen very carefully and very quickly.

Now onto something slightly more serious.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PMSL 
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 744
    I've put together a few guitar tracks for Everlong over a bass and drums isolated track ripped from the original. It's sounding ok for my limited bedroom "studio" and very limited mixing skills, not to mention playing abilities. However, my singing is simple not up to the challenge. Any suggestions? I could try to play it on the guitar a la Mike Hermans:

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • fnpt said:
    I've put together a few guitar tracks for Everlong over a bass and drums isolated track ripped from the original. It's sounding ok for my limited bedroom "studio" and very limited mixing skills, not to mention playing abilities. However, my singing is simple not up to the challenge. Any suggestions? I could try to play it on the guitar a la Mike Hermans:

Just bore the audience with excessive generic singalong chat like Dave Grohl does in every live number these days
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited February 2022
    @fnpt Try using a slide? That’s what I’m doing for my cover of a different song.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 744
    @fnpt Try using a slide? That’s what I’m doing for my cover of different song.
    That’s actually a very good idea.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • fnpt said:
    @fnpt Try using a slide? That’s what I’m doing for my cover of different song.
    That’s actually a very good idea.

There's also an acoustic version where DG sings the chorus an octave lower, and in a  breathy, speaking style. That would be much easier than belting out the album version vocals
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 251
    Sent one in.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited February 2022
    Habanero said:
    Sent one in.
    I'm not sure that @poopot is available at the moment.

You could send it to me using the email address on the Composition Challenge thread and I'll upload it.

It's not a competition.