Picture This - Blondie

What's Hot
Trying to work out the chord in the middle part of the chorus ("If it weren't for your job at the garage, etc.")  All the online tabs have it as A, but I'm hearing an A minor (which would make sense for the key of C).  The first part of the solo is over an A maj / D maj progression, but I'm pretty sure the ones in the chorus (and again in the outro) are minor.  Are my ears crap?

Also, in the intro and first verse, it goes through an F - G - Ab sequence - or should it be F - G - G#?  Does it matter?
Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited February 2022
    The chord is A major, though she does sing a minor 3rd on it, which is a clash and could be what’s making you hear A minor. The only A minor chord that I can find is the held one at the end of the guitar solo. 

Ab vs G#: Like you say, it really doesn’t matter but Ab is better because whether you look at it as the 3rd note in the F minor scale or the 6th note in the C minor scale that it morphs into, it’s an Ab. They basically play the scale from F to C: F G Ab Bb C. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Ah, so my ears are only partially crap, then.  Thanks @viz .

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    Great tune and a lovely little lead guitar part . . . the A to D section is OK but I tend to fudge my way through the second part of the lead with D F and G noodles with a few open strings thrown in for good measure . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• Not sure if this will help but it's a lovely watch:

From about 23:30 Frank demonstrates the verse part and plays his lovely solo, on what looks to be a '53 goldtop.

Debbie's singing on this is fabulous too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Ooh, good spot, @springhead .  I've watched a bunch of live videos, but the camera's pretty much glued on Debbie.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Wonderful song. So evocative.

My dad had this album on tape in the 70's and it was very much part of our family holidays driving through France and Spain.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1796
    Fuengi said:

My dad had this album on tape in the 70's and it was very much part of our family holidays driving through France and Spain.
    Your Dad has good musical taste.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Fuengi said:

Your Dad has good musical taste.
    He does. Captain Fantastic was also a staple, plus a Beatles compilation album I can't quite remember but it introduced me to all the songs of theirs you ought to know. 

My eight year old also loves all this stuff now. 
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    edited March 2022
    At the end of the solo where he plays that dreamy little bit which is D F G he finishes on an A minor played high on the neck
    X X 14 14 13 X followed by X X X 12 12 12 . . . . or that's how it appears on the YouTube Video . . . Either way it is a wonderful song to listen to and play . . . I think its a quickie though at 2 mins 30 ish . . . proving that good things come in small doses :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• pedroC60pedroC60 Frets: 9
    Your post inspired me to have a go at this. Found this on YT.. might help 
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 104
    Picture This and 11:59 are always my first calls when playing Spotify Roulette with my daughter in the car. She's in her early 20's and keeps me connected with the modern equivalent.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1305
    I wonder how Chris Stein (?) came up with that jump to G# in the verses...there you are plugging away on C major and Fmaj7 and it's all very pretty... did he intend to play a G major and he landed wrong - and it caught the ear - and Debbie Harry was able to hang something off of it. 
    Lovely bit of songwriting.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...