Comments

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    I toyed with the idea of white, but I've gone with black

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1327
    Nice. What paint did you use?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's just a wee bit of lamp black oil paint dissolved into tru-oil, wiped on with a rag.

I had some black wood stain in the house so I used that first to give the colour a kickstart
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    The correct colour ;p
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    DannyP said:
    It's just a wee bit of lamp black oil paint dissolved into tru-oil, wiped on with a rag.

I had some black wood stain in the house so I used that first to give the colour a kickstart
    I had no idea you could add colour to TruOil, I need to investigate further…
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I assume it gives a similar result to wudtone, which appears to be colour added to osmo. An interesting idea though. I'd like to find an alternative to nitro.

@DannyP, is the finish opaque, or can you still see grain coming through?

The slight yellowing that tru oil gives will help to yellow the binding, assuming you're going to go over the whole thing in clear tru oil after the black coats.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7005
    tFB Trader
    davros said:
     I'd like to find an alternative to nitro.
    WHAT!? ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
     :#

Well, It would be nice to have a rub on option! I've used tru oil before, and quite like the finish but I don't want every guitar to be natural coloured.

Realistically though I do love the finish nitro gives, and for a g-style or f-style guitar I think it has to be nitro!

Alternative not replacement  ;)
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2405
    French polish isn’t too difficult 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16629
    personally, i don't like tru-oil used as a lacquer replacement, but it can be done.   As an oil style finish its great, but limited in what you can do with colour as those styles of finishes are rubbed in and buffed mostly off

But you can colour any finish as long as you find the right pigments, and you can build tru-oil up like a lacquer... just expect a long wait for it to be fully hard, and 20-30 coats applied over weeks if you want a full gloss finish.   Osmo does work a bit better for this as it dries faster
    edited February 2022
    Yes, it'll take a few coats over time.

I did a 355 kit this way a few years ago, experimenting with linseed based oil paint mixed with linseed based tru-oil. It was very much trial and error, with the emphasis on error, but I learned a lot and I think the result will be a lot better this time around.

My main learning is to use far less oil paint than you think in the mix. About 5% max. Giving the colour a headstart with wood stain seems to lessen the burden on the paint to get the colour opaque.

I'm anticipating completely opaque colour coverage, but with still a slight suggestion of grain in the texture. At least, that's the look I'm aiming for.

Bit boring at the moment. Just adding coats.
    Bit more progress. I'm going to wait a bit for the finish harden off, sand and buff and see where we are with it.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Managed to get it kinda shiny. Shiny enough for relic anyway

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bit of a mock up with some parts

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So cool
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Awesome job!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    A black Custom with three pickups and a Bigsby is the coolest of all Les Pauls.

Given how close that tension roller is to the bridge, I'm fairly sure you'll need one of these too...

https://bricksbiggsfix.com

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I have no tuning problems with mine and I am aggressive with it

If I had tuning problems I'd be looking at domed thumbwheels first, if they were in stock anywhere https://www.crazyparts.de/bridges--tailpieces/thumbwheels/domed-thumbwheels-bigsby-maestro-gold.php

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom