Shopping for an SG - checking neck angle etc

What's Hot
I’ve not really given thought to this with previous gibsons I’ve bought - I guess I’ve just been lucky in that I can get my preferred medium-low action while keeping the bridge and tailpiece at suitable heights in relation to the guitar body and each other (tailpiece low but not quite decked, strings not in contact with the back edge of the bridge, plenty of clearance above the pickups).

I have occasionally tried other gibsons where the action is pretty low but the bridge and tailpiece are both high *and* the strings are in contact with the rear edge of the bridge. Presumably I want to avoid that.

Is there a rough checklist (without the need for measuring equipment) that I whizz through when I’m trying an SG to be reasonably sure the neck is set properly?

(I’m aware of how to check the nut slots are roughly the right depth, fret 3 and check at 1 etc - any other useful quick checks?)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3453
    edited February 2022
    I think your note about eyeballing and checking if the strings hit the back of the bridge even with a high tailpiece is all you need to do. I prefer to have the tailpiece decked and not hit the bridge, others may disagree. SGs are skinny, I feel there’s less room for wacky neck angles with them but this is Gibson so you never know…

Try some fretted notes (particularly on the g string) around the 9th -12th frets and see how many dead spots you can find. SGs can have a few.

With the guitar in the case flat on its back, pull upwards on the middle strings around the 12th - 14th frets while holding the guitar in place and see how much the headstock flexes under tension. 

Check for neck dive. I’ve never (ever) had or tried an SG that didn’t do it to some extent but the extent varies considerably.

Check if it has a sideways trem. If it does, put it back on the rack immediately  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73112
    edited February 2022
    The only thing you really need to check is the action height at the top of the neck - if you can bend the top strings up a full tone or so at the 15th-20th frets without them choking while playing hard, the action isn’t too low. If the bridge is then a sensible height, it will set up correctly even if the nut or relief aren’t right at that point.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks folks, that’s very helpful. Roll on payday!