String Tree Pinging - what have I done here?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
edited February 2022 in Making & Modding
Really happy with this partscaster Tele except for an issue with the B & high E strings which "ping" above the nut when I bend them.

I'm assuming it's a combination of my nut cut and the string tree placement/ height? 

What have I done to create this and how can I remedy it? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221

First tune it without the string under the tree, if it still pings, its not the tree, if its ok, then you could either try raising the tree with a longer spacer or try a roller tree, if it still pings then its likely a nut issue, (gut feeling its a nut issue as the b and e are smooth strings and should glide under the tree, fairly friction free) can the b and e move sideways in the nut slot? Possibly the nut slot is too wide and a bit rough where the string makes contact?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5320
    I always put nut source under the string tree..and I have seen small nylon upstand/spacer under some trees to raise the height a tad
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    Pinging means that the offending strings are snagging somewhere. 

The obvious friction points are the nut slots and the edges of the string guides. Rounding off edges minimises snagging.

Strings can also snag in the nut when they are old and, heaven forfend, greasy or corroded. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    The string tree placement and height look perfect.

What did you use to cut the nut grooves? This can happen when there's a small ridge in the middle of the bottom, so the string pings from side to side when you bend it.

If you don't have the correct rounded profile nut file, you can usually fix this by very carefully scraping the bottom of the slots from side to side with a sharp craft knife blade, making sure not to deepen them too much on the fingerboard side.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    It was the nut, my ham-fisted filing must have been the culprit. I used my set of Hosco nut files but obviously have still managed to create some grooves.

I have had a very gentle fettle, added some White Lithium Grease and some pencil lead shavings to the nut slots and given the Bigsby some welly, that seems to have done the trick. 

I like the craft knife clean out idea, I'll do that next time I cut a nut or if the ping comes back on this. 
  • Another option that will polish out any inconsistencies left after using the nut file is to wrap a piece of fine wet and dry paper around a piece of old guitar string of the appropriate gauge for the slot. Pull it back and forth in the slot and it should get rid of any tiny ridges.