Hondo finally done

What's Hot
JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
edited February 2022 in Making & Modding
Finished it a while ago . It was cheap to buy and horrible to look at . 
I have customized it and redone the lot .  

Edit : It was meant to go to ' Your Finished projects' . For some reason it didn't . 
Can I ask Mods to move it across ?
0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    That's a beautiful looking guitar.  Are there photos somewhere of what it was like before you started working on it?
    This is not a criticism, because people find beauty in different things, but my eyes keep being drawn to the silver/black nickel knobs on the lower bout because they don't match the gold upper ones.  It's probably just me because I am a bit OCD with symmetry and I feel a bit imbalanced when I see something that doesn't follow the pattern my brain wants to see,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    BillDL said:
    That's a beautiful looking guitar.  Are there photos somewhere of what it was like before you started working on it?
    This is not a criticism, because people find beauty in different things, but my eyes keep being drawn to the silver/black nickel knobs on the lower bout because they don't match the gold upper ones.  It's probably just me because I am a bit OCD with symmetry and I feel a bit imbalanced when I see something that doesn't follow the pattern my brain wants to see,
    I think I have posted couple of photos in previous posts . I will attach a link to it in a bit .
    As for the knobs , I have come to conclusion that 4 gold ones  would look like ' gypsy king ' and I didn't like it at all .
    I suppose 2 different sets of knob might be odd looking for some , for me though it's kinda cool and I actually don't notice it .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The link to original thread in making and modding 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/203208/hondo-hlp-2n-restoration/p1
    There is One f... up with the neck plate . I asked my mate to laser it , sent him a photo how it'll go on the guitar and he lasered it up side down .
    Hence chamfers are now facing up towards neck , rather than I wanted to be opposite :( 
    To much hassle to put it right now !
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9127
    Before image:

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GluedtoMusicGluedtoMusic Frets: 74
    tFB Trader
    This looks amazing, how did you make the chamfered pickup covers?
    Supplier of Gotoh, Fender, Gibson, Faber, Schaller, Hipshot, Floyd Rose, TonePros, Graph Tech, Hosco luthier tools and many more.
    Roland said:
    Before image:

Thanks @Roland ; . 
    This looks amazing, how did you make the chamfered pickup covers?
    I have designed and machined myself from solid aluminium , then black anodised them .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    It needs an ‘SG style’ neck joint cover made from the same material as the fret markers, that would make it look even better…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jesus that looks amazing. 
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1524
    Wow, what a transformation!
    ICBM said:
    It needs an ‘SG style’ neck joint cover made from the same material as the fret markers, that would make it look even better…
    I ma not sure if this is what you are referring as 'SG style ' neck joint , but I might make one similar to this to fit in there between neck end and pickup .
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2572
    edited February 2022
    Brilliant job, very well done. You should be justifiably proud of that work. 
    StefB said:
    Brilliant job, very well done. You should be justifiably proud of that work. 
    Thanks! I do and still can't believe i actually pulled this off , though it took long time all together .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Jazzthat said:

I ma not sure if this is what you are referring as 'SG style ' neck joint , but I might make one similar to this to fit in there between neck end and pickup . 
    Yes, exactly that. I would do half-45-degree chamfered ends like the corners of your pickup surrounds. 

On yours, plain matt black plastic to match the pickup rings would look ok, but that fret marker material would be perfect if you’ve got any left...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom