Songs to help you recognise chords in a progression - David Bennett Piano [YouTube]

What's Hot

Comments

• worth adding the minor version too.. very educational.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Cheers @bloodandtears ;

Really like these kinds of YouTube videos, where they give song examples. Makes it much easier for me to understand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve gone to post his videos on here before (not sure why not), I haven’t watched these two yet but he’s generally very good. Slightly obsessed with Radiohead and The Beatles but otherwise a reasonably broad range of musical examples usually. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • He's very clever but his posh, lispy voice can grate a bit after a while. Not his fault of course but its just that we have all got traits that others can only tolerate for a short time when on video. I try to avoid video and photos as I am not suitable for either.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I don't understand why he has a Major V in the Minor key?

If you are playing the Minor key, the iv and v are minor and the III / VI / VII are Major, right?   

• vizviz Frets: 10691
     If you are rigidly diatonic, yes, but almost no minor songs have a minor v chord. 95% of them majorise the v to a V - you will have heard that in a lot of music you listen to. 

There are exceptions - Golden Brown, Black Magic Woman, and many others. But the majority have a proper V. 

Why? Because it sounds more effective in the 5-1 resolution. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    viz said:
     If you are rigidly diatonic, yes, but almost no minor songs have a minor v chord. 95% of them majorise the v to a V - you will have heard that in a lot of music you listen to. 

There are exceptions - Golden Brown, Black Magic Woman, and many others. But the majority have a proper V. 

Just off to burn my Circle of 5ths. 

What is the point of music theory if it's ignored?  =)
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6679
    viz said:

Fuengi said:
    viz said:

What is the point of music theory if it's ignored?  =)
    A lot of songs aren't necessarily in a "key" but modal. This chamges a lot. The minor "tonic" you're hearing can be the ii or the vi for example. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2022
    merlin said:
    viz said:

Fuengi said:
    viz said:

What is the point of music theory if it's ignored? 
    A lot of songs aren't necessarily in a "key" but modal. This chamges a lot. The minor "tonic" you're hearing can be the ii or the vi for example. 

Well, “tonic” and “1” are synonyms, where 1 could be major (I) or minor (i). The tonic can never be the ii or the vi, or am I misunderstanding what you’re saying?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited March 2022
    Fuengi said:
    viz said:

What is the point of music theory if it's ignored? 
    Noooo! This is something that’s been acceptable and known for 600 years, they loved the Co5 and appreciated the rule and then adapted it. It’s awesome.