NGD 336 Made 2 Measure

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2607
edited June 2022 in Guitar tFB Trader
Just when I thought I was done buying after my last 336 purchase. I have been eyeing up a guitar for a couple of months now... Its an unusual guitar in the fact it has P90s rather than humbuckers.. You really dont see many like this.. If any others are even out there.. Its apparently a made 2 measure guitar.. I really like P90s and I love my 336 so this guitar was just too nice for me to pass up.

From what I can tell so far its a standard 336 with the only difference being it has P90s and no pickguard (which very much suits me).

Also it was advertised as a 2010 model which I knew it wasnt.. From the pictures I saw on the internet it looked like the serial started with an 8.. So I thought its a 2008/2018 model.. 

Whats odd is it came with its QC document so you think the seller/shop would have twigged on and to my pleasant surprise  actually its a 2016.. And in looking very much closer the first number is a 6 not an 8 it has dark grain around it and was really hard to tell even in person.

So here you go.. I present my new 2016 CS 336 F with P90s  D 

I now just have to hope I dont find one with mini humbuckers  D   But seriously really happy with this purchase 1 

0reaction image LOL 36reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22730
    Wow, I've never seen one like that before! 

As you probably know, there was a run of 336s with dogear P-90s a couple of years ago, in colours like TV Yellow.  Coda had several of them.  But I haven't seen one with soapbars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    edited February 2022 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    Wow, I've never seen one like that before! 

As you probably know, there was a run of 336s with dogear P-90s a couple of years ago, in colours like TV Yellow.  Coda had several of them.  But I haven't seen one with soapbars.
    Yes, thats exactly what drew me too it.. I did see the dog ear ones, but this one has its own thing going on.. I will have to do a side by side with my humbucker 336..

I really really thought I was done till I saw this guitar... Now I am done.. Honest gov  D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Golly Gosh mate. That’s a beautiful guitar. Classy Freddy Blassi
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    blueskunk said:
    Golly Gosh mate. That’s a beautiful guitar. Classy Freddy Blassi
    Cheers.. And yes, I am VERY happy with it... I never thought I would own one custom, now I have two..  Howd that happen :) I think I am in a bit of shock..
  • Very nice indeed - how is it for feedback/resonance over the humbuckers?
    AsterixTG said:
    Very nice indeed - how is it for feedback/resonance over the humbuckers?
    I have only had time to give it a quick run through so far just to make sure it was all working. 

I will have a good side by side when I get the chance to really go through it in detail.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow!

You'll be needing a specially cut pickguard now, right? ;)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    If I recall that it is totally hollow as per a 330 - update me on that as I'm shooting from the hip with that statement/question
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    If I recall that it is totally hollow as per a 330 - update me on that as I'm shooting from the hip with that statement/question

The Gibson CS-336 is a semi-hollow electric guitar manufactured by Gibson Guitar Corporation's Custom, Art & Historic Division . Introduced in 2001,[1] the CS-336 was the Custom Shop's first "tonally carved" guitar, meaning that the back, center block, and sides are carved from one single piece of wood (mahogany). This solid block of wood is mated to a carved maple top. After over 100 years, the CS-336 also represented the realization of company founder Orville Gibson's goal to produce an instrument with one-piece back-and-sides construction.[citation needed]

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Difference between a 336 and 339 which is the same size is that a 336 is made from a chambered out solid piece of wood with a maple cap.. Where as a 339 is made from laminates side and back (top too?) like a normal 335 and other archtop types... Something like this..  So a 336 is almost like a cross between a LP and a 335.

Gibson CS-356 Chamberingjpg  The Gear Page
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    That's a cracking looking guitar, I bet it sounds sweet with those P90s! 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

tFB Trader
    stonevibe said:
    That's a cracking looking guitar, I bet it sounds sweet with those P90s! 
    Thanks and yes it does sound amazing..  I need to spend far more time with it yet, only had time for a quick strum to check it was all working earlier....  As said it will be interesting to play the two 336s side by side and hear the differences in the pickups..
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Wow, that’s beautiful 
  • Rabs said:
    AsterixTG said:
    Very nice indeed - how is it for feedback/resonance over the humbuckers?
    I have only had time to give it a quick run through so far just to make sure it was all working. 

I will have a good side by side when I get the chance to really go though it in detail.
    Cool - look forward to hearing you experience with it.
    tFB Trader
    Wow!

You'll be needing a specially cut pickguard now, right? ;)
    Ha  :)   Its one of the reasons I really like it.. It has its own look going on.. I dont want to spoil that.. Plus I am not the kind of player that hits that part of the top when I am playing so its all good by me.. And you get to see more of the top  :D 
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    Yes!
    The back and neck look beautiful,
    Congrats.
    tFB Trader
    jdgm said:
    Yes!
    The back and neck look beautiful,
    Congrats.
    Cheers man..  And yes, another reason I was so drawn to it..  My other 336 has like a dark cherry back and neck  (not that I have an issue with that)... I have always loved the natural look  :)   Another one for you to have a  go on one day ...
  • That’s a stunner 
    That’s a stunner 
    Cheers.. It was also a bit odd to me that this was actually cheaper than the other 336 I got just over a year ago... But I have no complaints.. I was just surprised that no one else snapped it up in all the time I was watching it.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    I like your goldtop at the back, how does it differ from the 336 apart from being heavier ?