Recommended place to buy 1 capacitor?

What's Hot
Hi there,

I need to get a 250pf mica cap 500V for my amp. I can find them on the internet, but although the cap is about £3 ish the postage charges are about £15 (or I have to buy 200 of them)

Can anyone point me to a supplier who can send me one and charge a reasonable postage cost?

Thanks,
Allen
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Try 270pf - basically the same, but more common.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If I want just one component I usually find eBay to be a good option. Lots of component sellers on there.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    Buy a larger quantity. Sell the surplus in the classifieds.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Why mica? If it's for a position with a substantial DC voltage on it - including the treble cap in the tone stack in most amps - then it will probably fail again at some point. I've noticed them being used in a few amps in inappropriate positions like this, and I'm not sure why other than a misguided idea that they're better. (It seems to be 'high end' amps.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Honestly any time I've been able to discern the difference between SM and Ceramic I've preferred the latter, but that's definitely taking the thread in another direction altogether.
  • allenallen Frets: 833
    ICBM said:
    Why mica? If it's for a position with a substantial DC voltage on it - including the treble cap in the tone stack in most amps - then it will probably fail again at some point. I've noticed them being used in a few amps in inappropriate positions like this, and I'm not sure why other than a misguided idea that they're better. (It seems to be 'high end' amps.)
    Yes, it’s for the treble cap on a Carr Skylark. 

What type of cap would be better?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2664
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Mica caps have been used for years and by many in valve amps that's why, there is a long history of use. Unfortunately there are good mica caps and bad ones, also the DC voltage rating is not the same as the AC voltage rating that is normally lower, saying that I have never had one fail in my personal amps but I don't have anything with very high b+ voltages and I solder carefully.

The tone difference between them all is minimal IMO

@allen, loads of places will sell you one cap, including me, RS components, Hotrox, hifi collective etc
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    allen said:

Yes, it’s for the treble cap on a Carr Skylark.

What type of cap would be better?
    Polyester. Or a cheap ceramic if you want it to sound like an old Fender :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein