Neck binding cracked

I've got this old Maison superstrat, its nothing special but I like it and it has sentimental value. As you (hopefully) can see from the image the binding has cracked and is coming away (its come off in little chunks nearer the heel) . Is it possible to buy binding of the right size? Most ive seen seems to be 6mm or bigger but I'd have to remove the frets to get it in there or try to shape it down in size to fit it under. 
 Or do I just get a replacement neck from ebay/wherever ?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    Not an easy one.  Often you fit binding slightly oversize and scrape back, difficult to do around frets, but not impossible.

Personally I would stabilise what is there, with a view to replacing the binding totally if you ever need a refret.   Some thin CA glue on the cracks should help.

If its celluloid binding then you can melt some scraps in thinners to make a binding glue that will melt into the cracks... but that won't work with more modern binding 
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 474
    I'm pretty sure its plastic, that pic is the least damaged part as well, quite a few chunks have fallen off, the biggest being nearly an inch. If i could get some 5mm binding i'd have a go getting it under the frets. Ive got a bit of 6mm and its way to big to go under without either trying to thin it or lifting the frets
    cheers for the info though WezV . I may even have a go at refretting while i'm at it. Worst case is a replacement basic neck from ebay. It's not my main player anyway, just a sentimental one
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    If you have some you can trim its certainly worth trying to graft some in place....  worse case is you do make a mess and have to refret

You can just trim it with  file or scraper