SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: 2001 Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top - Transparent Purple - price now £2100

What's Hot
jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 684
edited August 2022 in Guitars £
FS fantastic 2001 Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top. Transparent purple with natural binding. Original case with all candy.

Quilted Maple Top on a chambered basswood body - very comfortable and nice and light. This is a fantastic guitar for anyone who wants plenty of cracking sounds combined with some of the best playability available. As a live guitar it is immensely capable across a large spectrum of genres.

Hard rock maple neck with satin finish is superb - smooth and silky and still feels the same as the day it was purchased. A stable rosewood fingerboard that has not moved in 20 years with zero fret movement. 22 frets 25.5" scale.

I purchased new from Jeff and Tony in the good ole days of Machinehead Music in Hitchin. It was gigged in the early years in a function/covers band but has been well cared for and spent a lot of the last 10 years as a case Queen. Frets have just had a fresh polishing, rosewood board cleaned and lightly oiled. Factory setup is a standard 10-46 set of strings and this works really well. Bends are smooth but firm enough and the chambering gives it an acoustic resonance and volume that are surprising when strumming unamplified.

I use custom gauge sets built from single strings on all my guitars so I haven't re-strung this until I find out how a new owner might want it setup.

I'm going to put it up at £2,700 ONO perhaps too ambitious there, now £2500

Need this gone now due to pending matters so dropped to £2250

Now £2100

Collection from Royston (evenings) or near Cambridge (work days). Bank transfer or PPG preferred.

Pickups are SA1R SA1 and H2+ and they sound great. Includes both the switcheroo system and vintage voicing plus what they call the blower switch.

When activated, the blower switch bypasses all of the main switching and hooks the bridge humbucker direct to the output for maximum signal. It's a really handy feature for solo boosts or even metal rhythm parts and adds to the versatility.

With the blower switch deactivated the main switching combinations are available:

- Each pickup is dual coil with the middle and neck stacked.
- Each pickup has an individual dipswitch with 3 positions.
- Position 1 of each switch is always the serial "standard" humbucker.
- Position 2 is that pickup off.
- Position 3 can be EITHER a spanky single coil OR the two coils in parallel for a weaker out of phase but still hum cancelling sound. I have always run it with the three pickups in single coil mode and it delivers hugely convincing Strat and Telecaster sounds depending on combinations. The mode of position 3 (single coil or parallel hum cancelling) is set per pickup in the cavity:

The switching system (includes pre-wired volume and tone pots) was replaced with a brand new unit posted by Tom a few years back. One of the pickup selector switches failed and it is easier to buy and replace complete. The old switching board and pots is included for spares:

Lots of additional photos are in the two galleries linked below. I have tried to capture the few inevitable blemishes that are on it. Note the two small neck pocket cracks - surface lacquer only as you would expect on a high end instrument. The bridge saddles have held up expectionally well and there is a close up showing this. I very rarely have string breakage on any guitar and I can only recall a single string breakage on this one in the 20 odd years it's been with me - and that was down to leaving a set on too long and sweating on them...

Main guitar gallery: https://imgur.com/a/DNjM9Eu

Case and candy: https://imgur.com/a/nI1Z3FZ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments