Performance and self respect!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 366
    Rowby1 said:
    It changes over time. Like many at 15/16 it’s about being cool, showing off, impressing girls….

It has at various time since then been about other things.

Now I do it mainly because I love music and how the music itself (not the performing) makes me feel. I love the moment when everything drops into place as a band and you can feel the connection with the audience. There’s some magic involved in music……I do it for those moments of magic. 

If I could triple Wiz that, I would.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    I try and leave all self respect at the door. 
    I try and play every gig like it’s Wembley stadium and it’s our last one. I have so much fun up there, no matter how many people are way listening and usually if the band are having a good time it rubs off and gives the audience an excuse to join in.
    That awesome teammates band feeling makes the hairs stand up. 

I wish more bands I see would smile. So feckin serious some of them. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    I've been in a few bands over the last 40 years and our current band was formed when I guy we knew was having his 40th birthday party.  His dream had always been to sing in a band so he asked a few of us if we could make it come true.  We did it, liked it, and just carried on.  What I like is the fact that we are all 'ok' musicians and that we are still improving with every gig.  We are competent enough that, if the drummer does a middle 7 instead of a middle 8, or one of the singers starts a verse where we normally have a guitar solo, no-one gets arsey, we just work around it.

As for money, I'm certainly not giving up my day job.  Over the years, I've probably made enough to cover guitar strings and fuel.  It's a hobby and I prefer it that way.  I honestly wouldn't want to be a pro.  Some years ago, I did a lot of rallying and was offered a job as a professional co-driver for Peugeot.  I turned it down for the same reason and never regretted it.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2427
    During my teens it was all about trying to write hit songs to have commercial success and all that went with it. From there it morphed into personal musical development and teaming up with the best musicians I could but always putting entertainment of the audience first and foremost. Even in several originals bands the satisfaction came from having music we had written and arranged ourselves being enjoyed and appreciated by audiences.

There's nothing quite like the feeling of being part of a band of very competent players who gel. I don't view it at all as an opportunity to get a personal message across.

Over the years while still enjoying performing with bands I became tired of the whole process of loading up to drive many miles, early sound checks then kicking heels for two or three hours before playing and then loading up again and getting home in the early hours of the morning. I liked the idea of just turning up at a solo gig with acoustic guitar, amp and accessories, using the house PA, so in the few years before the pandemic I did just that. It was a very different experience. There was no frontman to be the audience's focus while I got on with my part behind him. Now I was the sole focus with nowhere to hide :D Not only a very different experience but that whole experience of being part of a cooking band and all the banter that goes with it was gone. Still satisfying to get good audience response but not the same buzz at all.
  • I played in live bands for 15 years and it was all about energy and having a good time. It was never meant to get any message across, just enjoying the music and the live aspect of it. I like it when a group of friends can get together on stage and play in harmony with each other. The song is tight with all the parts fitting well with each other. The last band finished in 2019 then covid struck so I haven't set foot on a stage since, and have retreated more to home studio playing now. 

I won't say I miss the lugging of 4x12 cabs into the back of transit vans and up/down flights of stairs in venues that stink of beer and piss anymore. Or loading out at 3am after playing a Central London club night with the same stuff. But I miss the banter on the road, the camaraderie within the group and unity within friends. Many great memories were shared and will form stories for years to come. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I always considered playing live as being incidental to playing music and slightly inconvenient. When I was gigging regularly I was more comfortable on stage than off it, but these days I'm equally uncomfortable during