Finding the PERFECT GUITAR: Body Shapes - Paul Davids [YouTube]

What's Hot

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5651
    edited March 2022
    Watched this last week. It's pretty good (as Paul's videos nearly always are). But take your grain of salt with it. It was a very good effort at having one of each type all in the same timbers, but ....

* They used Red Spruce tops for (almost) everything. Red Spruce (also called Adirondack) is very loud/crisp/harsh/clear/unsubtle (choose the word you prefer, they all fit) compared to more common top timbers (Sitka Spruce, European Spruce). So the sounds are to that degree unrepresentative. Red Spruce makes a big difference.
    * The Grand Auditorium has a cutaway, which robs tone and volume. None of the others do.
    * The slope shouldered 00 is mahogany, not rosewood. 
    * The jumbo not only has a Rock Maple back, it has a Sitka Spruce top.
    * One of the guitars has a European Spruce top. I can't remember which one it was now, but that too is significant.

All of these things change the sound and make direct comparison impossible as they disguise the differences between the body types.

All that said, I watched it with interest and enjoyed it considerably. Given the difficulty of finding so many guitars of different types in the same timbers, I think Eastman did very well. (What other manufacturer could produce such a range at the drop of a hat?) They came as close as they could and that was close enough to make it well worth watching. The Eastman chap was very good and, as usual, Paul's skill, humour and enthusiasm shone through. 

I'm already looking forward to the follow-up, which will be on timbers.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1996
    This is a very good video. It's very helpful for assessing size and comfort level before buying,let alone tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Great video - and very useful for those seeking a new six-string partner.
    *Of course as an Eastman dealer I'm delighted to see Paul playing some of our models too! 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 252
    Interesting video. As @Tannin states, there are still variables (so which ones had the brass bridge pins and which the Martin specials ;) )but a valuable comparison. 
    An interesting point made was that certain body styles steer the player into what the instrument is best at. I've had a Lowden O25 (jumbo) for years, but only a couple of months ago tuned it to DADGAD and learned new chord shapes. I'm now reluctant to return to standard tuning as it just sings in that niche. The Eastman guy was correct.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 792
    Excellent! Anyone learning about acoustics and buying for the first few times could usefully watch. Thanks Tannin.

I really liked their explanation of the good separation of notes and suitability for fingerstyle Blues of the parlour shape. Very clearly described.

Also another opportunity to see that absolutely drop dead gorgeous jumbo of Eastman's (I think the AC630-BD?) which IMO has to be one of the most beautiful acoustics. Possibly ever!
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5651
    @duotone posted the link, @DavidR - but thank me by all means. :) 

Paul's promised follow-up on tonewoods is not up yet, but that will be interesting too.

PS: if there is more joy to be found in this world than a maple jumbo can provide, lead me to it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 792

Thanks duotone!!