Jld bridge doctor brass pin version experience

Has anyone got an experience with the jld bridge doctor looking to use one on an old kalamazoo kg 14 which is some severe bellying with quite a high 
action of just under 5mm at the 12th th fret. 

Was looking for the brass bin version so don't have to drill any holes but not too sure about the break angle of the strings as the saddle is quite low with the previous owner adding slots to the bridge...

The guitar really needs a neck reset but been quoted 350 and still have the bellying around the bridge. 

I an currently using it with 10s and tuned down a step capo'ed at the 12th fret which brings the action down an mm or so. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 960
    edited March 2022
    I used a bridge doctor on my 12 string when I had the same problem. It helped a lot with the bellying but eventually it needed more drastic action. I ended up making a new top for it, but kept the bridge doctor fitted in the hope it'll stop the same thing happening again. Mine's the screwed-on version though.

My guitar wasn't worth the expense of getting somebody else to do the work though - I may well have taken a different course if it was posher. Bridge doctor did its job though until the cheap top completely gave up the ghost. 
  • Thanks, I ordered  a unit which arrived this morning.

Just spent the last hour or so installing only to find out that the unit is too big and it misses the bridge plate and the wooden secton is pressing against one of the braces.

Anyone had the same issue?  
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4506
    edited March 2022
    My experience of the bridge doctor is whilst it's ok for a cheapish guitar which is otherwise for the bin because a reset in uneconomical, it does drastically change the tone, attack and sustain of the instrument. So if you like how your KG14 sounds, get the neck reset because it will only be a KG14 in looks after you put the bridge doctor in. The bellying doesn't matter once the reset is done.

The main tonal changes I experienced were a loss of attack/bark when first picked, followed by unnaturally long sustain which just sounded weird.