SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SCAMMER BEWARE

What's Hot
SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 946
edited March 2022 in Guitars £
If you've received a message from this low life, please ignore it.  https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/profile/32945/Tomcole

He messaged me in response to a WTB ad and gave his email address; Colethomas717@Gmail.com 

I entered this into google and it looks like he's attempted to scam people from other forums. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Colethomas717@Gmail.com&oq=Colethomas717@Gmail.com&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58j69i60.396j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The mods have been alerted.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5072
    There seems to be a bit of it about on Facebook at the moment; if you're selling, it's something based around them sending you a courier with cash.

And, of course, if you're buying, never send using an unsecured payment method like bank transfer or PayPal Gift/Friends & Family.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had the same on Facebook last week. “I’ll send parcel force to collect and they will have the cash with them”. Err, ok…
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8981
    Banned
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4311
    edited March 2022
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bad_alicebad_alice Frets: 271
    edited March 2022
    Thanks for the heads up and thanks too to admin @Roland for acting on this so swiftly.
    Easily distracted and...oooh, look! A guitar!"
    My Trading Feedback can be found here: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62765/bad-alice/p1
  • xGizmoxGizmo Frets: 1116
    Good to know, thx to @Springywheel ; & @roland for keeping the scum from the walls. Wiz
  • He contacted me yesterday,about a Cali 76, he has for sale,at a very good price.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5072
    I mentioned this on another site and they said they'd changed the requirements to enable new users to view the Wanteds section, which seemed to have fixed the issue.
    ...however, there isn't a separate Wanteds section here.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1488
    I might be stupid here, but I got the same on FB last week (off someone else). What is the catch here? You provide your address? I thought it legit at first, as in theory, it would make sense, courier arrives with cash (probably makes no sense in fairness), and you get your money, hand over product? They're fishing for address info?
  • Jim54Jim54 Frets: 257
    No, you will be asked to pay say £100 for the insurance (which they will add to the cash they will give you so you're not out of pocket). But there will never be any cash and you are out of £100 and shared personal details too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15019
    They're fishing for address info?
    Could be data theft.

Could be lining up potential victims for burglary. 

In the pre-Interweb days of Loot, Auto-Trader, Exchange & Mart et cetera, a common phrase in classified ads was "evenings and weekends only". This indicated that the advertiser was not at home during weekday working hours and, hence, was ripe for a break in.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom