High quality 25k pots?

Does anyone make a 25k pot that feels as high quality as a proper CTS pot? And preferably with the narrower 8mm shaft size so I don't have to enlarge the holes.

It looks like my choices for "branded" ones are either EMG solderless (but solder the connections to the PCB pads) or Fishman - either of these any good? I just want a nice bit of resistance that doesn't feel cheap. I imagine all the cheaper ones I see on WD, Axesrus etc are much of a muchness and probably just as loose feeling as what's already in the guitar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    The official EMG Solderless™ 25k pots have the correct shaft diameter. 

Faced with a similar wiring proposition to yours, I resorted to using the EMG Buss board to construct a semi-Solderless™ harness.

Re-use the existing selector switch and pickup output cabling. Use EMG block connector interconnection leads to configure the controls any which way you fancy.

Stock is bridge Vol., neck Vol., Tone. You could simplify to Master Volume, Master Tone and one of the booster accessories.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    Cheers @Funkfingers - do the official EMG pots feel better quality than your typical cheap alpha sized pots? I just want a bit of resistance that doesn't feel loose and nasty! 

I'm considering trying the EMG Fat 55s eventually which come with a full solderless rewire kit so I may just get something cheap for now so at least it's not scratchy, then replace it all with the EMG stuff later on down the road. I was going to rip it all out for passives and still tempted as I know what I'm getting, but I'm not sure about drilling a ground wire to the bridge - maybe when I take it in for a setup I could get them to do it then.
    edited March 2022
    TTBZ said:
    do the official EMG pots feel better quality than your typical cheap alpha sized pots?
    I think so.

TTBZ said:
    I was going to rip it all out for passives and still tempted as I know what I'm getting, but I'm not sure about drilling a ground wire to the bridge - maybe when I take it in for a setup I could get them to do it then.
    The EC-401 has a sister model that is fitted with passive pickups and control parts to begin with.

Unless your example is exceptional, it would make more sense to simply change for another Eclipse.

TTBZ said:
    I'm considering trying the EMG Fat 55s eventually
    I have not tried those. Hence, I can not comment on them.

My anecdotal experience is that the active pickups that come closest to the dynamics and tone of passives is Fishman Fluence. 

Second best was Seymour Duncan Live Wire II. (PAF style tones and output levels. Fatten 'em up with an EMG-SPC mid booster.) These may no longer be in production.

I vaguely recall trying the LWC2 pickups in my EC-401. To begin with, they made a refreshing change from the ubiquitous EMG-81/-60 sound. After a while, I missed the slightly artificial, hyped-up tone of the EMGs but, for improved dynamic range, I bought the -X versions. 

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited March 2022
    The EC-401 has a sister model that is fitted with passive pickups and control parts to begin with.

Unless your example is exceptional, it would make more sense to simply change for another Eclipse.

That has crossed my mind I've seen some used EC-1000s going for about £500-600. I might be tempted to sell this once I've got it all fixed up and spend a little extra on one of those. One of the 22 fret, full thickness Duncan pickup models would probably be right up my street. I do really like this one so far though, just needs a good setup I think and a bit of time to adjust to 24 frets.

Are those Live Wire IIs interchangeable with EMG electronics without any hassle? As I said in my NGD thread these are all soldered pots anyway so I don't have the solderless stuff to worry about for compatibility. This guitar was so cheap that I don't mind faffing about with it for a bit to see how I get on.
    edited March 2022
    TTBZ said:
    Are those Live Wire IIs interchangeable with EMG electronics without any hassle? 
    Yes. Same format three-pin connector on the underside of each pickup.

The only possible hassle would be if you mix 'n' match EMG and Duncan active humbuckers. There may be a phase reversal issue.