Lpad attenuator

What's Hot
alvynmcqalvynmcq Frets: 11
edited March 2022 in Making & Modding
Recently bought a Marshall Origin 5c for home use, I know lots of people don’t like them, but I was looking for a 5w single ended valve amp and it was too good a bargain to pass up. Plan is to connect my HX Stomp with 4cm to it.

I’ve ordered a 50w 16ohm lpad to build a little attenuator for it. Do I need to add anything or will the two jacks and enclosure be enough? In my head I can use the lpad to reduce the top end that a lot of people complain about, but will have to see if that works or not

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1050
    Don't forget to add ventilation holes, the L Pad disspates the energy as heat so they get hot.  A bypass switch may be handy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Yes, an L-pad is ideal for this sort of thing. For an amp as low as 5W it should be fine by itself even without ventilation if it's a metal enclosure.

Be careful with a bypass switch, it adds more potential unreliability by putting switch contacts into the speaker path - although there is a way of wiring it which avoids that, to a large extent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• alvynmcqalvynmcq Frets: 11
    edited March 2022
    Thanks guys, I was surprised I found a 16ohm 50w lpad, had thought it would be hard to get one. I’ve a 1590bb enclosure in my parts box, so will try it in it 

I think I will just go with the lpad in an enclosure to minimise any mistakes I could make. Going to make a passive volume control thing to try in the effects loop as well

• normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    I mounted one to the rear "safety" panel on my Lionheart L5t. Works well albeit as they're linear a lot of the attenuation is at the lower end of travel
    Makes the amp totally useable in a domestic setting
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom