British Army 'Speak' - assistance required

This no doubt will come across as a strange request for assistance.

Aside from playing guitar, my other interest is writing and I'm in the process of writing short stories.

One of my writing projects involves characters in the army. This is where my request for help comes in as I want the dialogue to be authentic. Can someone who has served in the British Army advise on the following.

1. When a Sergeant addresses a Lance Corporal, would they just say 'Corporal' or would they use the full title of 'Lance Corporal.'

2. With regard to Courts Martial, would a Colonel be too high a rank for a Service Lawyer?  Generally what rank do Service Lawyers hold.

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    I wonder if the Army Museum (Chelsea) could help with these,  and any future questions .

• Hi I am ex Army, the first question he would say Corporal, the second, major or Captain. Cheers Paul
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    Paging @ThorpyFX ......
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    edited March 2022 tFB Trader
    1. When a Sergeant addresses a Lance Corporal, would they just say 'Corporal' or would they use the full title of 'Lance Corporal.'

Strictly speaking day to day, a sergeant would address a LCpl who works for him by either his nickname or first name... this isn't reciprocated. if he doesn't know the LCpl or an Officer or WO2 is nearby he would call him "Corporal"

i.e. when being friendly a LCpl Smith is referred to as "SMUDGE", however if "Smudge" has messed up then he will be called Corporal again.

2. With regard to Courts Martial, would a Colonel be too high a rank for a Service Lawyer?  Generally what rank do Service Lawyers hold.

Majors/Lt Col are typically the highest "working/practicing" rank, however Captains are more prevalent and therefore more likely to be the lawyers. Thereafter as Major or Lt Col they take on more legal/leadership/advisory roles to Brigadiers/ Generals etc

I'm fairly certain there will be Army Legal Service Colonels, but they are unlikely to practice law in court... thats saved for Captains/Majors/Lt Col depending on the profile of the case. Also ALS (Army Legal Service )have a route to become Judges... so Col/Brigadier can end up chairing the proceedings. 

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    Thank you all for replying and explanations given to my questions. Really appreciate it.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 168
    Just to add to the above.  It depends on who is talking to who.  An officer addressing L/Cpl Smith above would probably address him as "Corporal Smith" to his face, but refer to him as Lance Corporal Smith to others or in writing.
    I once had the pleasure of running a selection day for ALS potential officers. The man I was working for on that was Lt Col from the ALS, the only one I ever saw.  I got the impression it's a very small corps.
    All this comes with the caveat that I left in 1989 and much may have changed.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23924
    From what I gather the other ranks often describe officers as REMFs.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Met a squaddie mate of my sister's husband once who had been in James Blunt's unit during the Balkans conflict.

I asked him "What was Jame Blunt like then?"

and he said "Well he was an officer wasn't he..."
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...