Alembic bass restoration

What's Hot
CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
70s Alembic bass sorting out. It's a bit short on detail pics, it turned into a major pain so didn't stop to photo much, but here we go.

Alembic's history is fairly interesting and a bit wacky. This bass is also pretty wacky in parts. it's from what I'm told is considered 'golden age' or similar.

It arrived with a good lot of scrapes, dents and some deep punctures. The clearcoat obscured the wood to where in normal light it looked like slabs of dark chocolate. Grain was hard to see, this pic's under strongish lighting. The wing outers are padauk over walnut, central stringers are purpleheart. Everything looked brown or yellow/orange. The side dot markers are silver rod but were hard to see.

A quick sample of some scars

It refused paintstripper, and orbital sanders just skipped over it. Scraping was very hard to do. Stripping turned into a slow, horrible job.
Strong paintstripper would slightly soften the lacquer, enabling some scraping to be done. Then it'd get really hard going, so stop, rinse & repeat stripper/scraping.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 3095
    tFB Trader
    Weapons. The scraper plane is a great thing. 
    Made some hard sanding blocks as the body top/bottom weren't that flat after some movement or glue creep.

After this it needed damage making good: various dents steamed, some bleaching, some in-filling. The tail ends can get compressed & battered.

Then detail sanding everywhere and bits of scraping, to make sure every last bit of the pesky original lacquer was banished.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I decided to grainfill with z-poxy partly because the padauk has big deep ol' pores and it'd save hosing tons of clearcoat.
    This took several rounds of fill/sand.
    Each time you have to wait overnight really before sanding back, and you can only do one side at a time.

But one good thing is now we can get some sort of idea of what the thing'll look like in the end -

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    Nice!

it's not uncommon for both paduak and purpleheart to move towards brown over the years
    tFB Trader
    Cheers Wez. Absolutely, the purpleheart was actually still dark purple under the toffee layer. Not lairy bright like new/fresh, but was good to have it back to something purple-ish. The padauk looked like Bournville chocolate before, it was good to see some character coming back.
    tFB Trader
    Then finally it's ready for clearing. Using 2k, it's water-clear and non-yellowing.

The z-poxy was sanded back, and at the end a thinned wipe-on coat done to give a slight tint to everything, so to take it back a bit from being too new and spangly.
    The maple's aged too, it's much less bright than newish wood which helps.

Moved into the sun to show the colours - nothing like everyday lighting but hey

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Good God, Bill. That’s incredible. I love it.
    tFB Trader
    Cheers kindly DM.

Last bit. All the brass got a polish up (as did the silver rod side markers, before lacquer).
    Then assembly, heaving the electrics in. Couple of the previously mullered wires let go, so had to go fishing & sort those.
    Slightly oddly the dummy coil pickup is glued in.

Wish I'd got pics of the headstock but it always seemed to be in a different postcode... :) it's got a scarfed head with lots of laminated layers

Anyway, it's done and the owner was well chuffed which is great.

I did him a a document covering everything, and info like screw threads and how to take apart/assemble the wiring sections. I colour-coded some wiring so the next guy can get in & out with less hassle hopefully.
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    That's looking great
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2807
    Wow
  • That looks superb. What's the DIN-type socket for?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    What's the DIN-type socket for?
    Balanced signal output and external power to onboard active circuitry.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1581
    That looks really fantastic.  It probably looks better than when it left Alembic!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Thanks all! Cheers.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    Corvus said:

PhilKing said:
    That looks really fantastic. It probably looks better than when it left Alembic!
    To me, after the refurb, it looks not unlike the photographs of John Paul Jones' basses at Knebworth 1979.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    That looks really great. Lovely restoration job.  I bet it sounds killer too. 
    I remember the Washburn Falcons (etc), although 6 string, took some inspiration from the Alembic look/construction. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Absolutely gorgeous. Big fan of Alembic guitars and basses here... sadly wayyy beyond my pay grade!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

tFB Trader
    Cheers chaps.
    Hi Pete, I don't have a bass amp and play bass like a guitar player trying to play bass... :) but it seems punchy & lively to me. 

Cheers impmann, indeed, think these are in the £6k to £7k region? Matey reckoned a modern replacement might cost him £20k! It was interesting to have a good close look around it, very handmade feel, pretty far away from your modern CNC ultra precision and all that.

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Top job there Bill
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    A real top drawer job there @Corvus ;  Great bass, great restoration.
    tFB Trader
    Cheers Mike and Andy, ta chaps