Ariel Posen. Fk me!

What's Hot
ftumchftumch Frets: 681
edited March 2022 in Live
I'll admit that I've heard the name but I'd never actually heard him play, this came up on my ytube.
Just WOW! You know when someone's playing gives you so much pleasure/surprise that you laugh out loud? Yeah that. Love the comment in the vid by one person 'I've been playing guitar for 17 years and never once have I ever played any of those notes'

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9712
    Nice, enjoyed that
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Probably really clever but bored the arse off me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7203
    I have heard Ariel Posen playing in a variety of styles in quite a lot of other videos.  In some I admired the skill but wasn't particularly captivated by the style of music, while in others I enjoyed his playing and the style of music.  Unfortunately this video is just a bit too dissonant for my ears and a bit too improvised for my liking.  It gives me the same kind of unsettled feeling as this:

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1409
    BillDL said:
    Unfortunately this video is just a bit too dissonant for my ears and a bit too improvised for my liking. 

That's the thing I like most about both videos on this page. Just goes to show that, um, ahh, people like different things. B)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Got two minutes in... not my cup of tea at all.  Like Jazz but even more noodly and dull.

But happy you chaps liked it.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited March 2022
    He's unbelievable, saw him live too.

The video above isn't even that great. 
    Some tasters:

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    I saw him supporting Josh Smith. I thought Ariel was an amazing player but it got a bit samey after a while and the songs didn’t grab me. Josh was stunning. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    I thought someone on here had a guitar lesson with him and found him a bit "different". I think they said he couldnt communicate how he did what he did, so not sure why he was selling lessons.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    I came across Ariel Posen something like 4 or 5 years ago on Youtube, and thought some of his stuff sounded interesting. Saw him live in probably 2019, and really did not like certain aspects of his playing; so much so, that, unusually me as I'm normally pretty tolerate music wise, that I left halfway through the second half of the gig. His songs were not particularly interesting, and I do not like the way he just chops and changes when he's soloing without any transition between the sections of his solo.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    As I may have mentioned a few times before something about him really rubs me up the wrong way. He feels, and I don't feel i can describe it better than this, but he feels like he was either going to be a an insta-guitarist or a barista in a pretentious coffee shop. 

And if you say his name 3 times he'll appear on your podcast and endorse something. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    edited March 2022
    Anal Poseur. 

But I didn't just say that......
    Actually quite unfair for me to take the pish without having given it a fair listen...I'll come by later and give it a proper go. I just couldn't resist. 
  • Slide guitar is like, I dunno, coriander or something, to me; delicious in the right place where it adds to the flavour, but I don’t want it on everything…I don’t need it on my chips or my roast beef or my lemon cheesecake.

Some guitarists seem to feel the need to put it on everything. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4189
    Slide guitar is like, I dunno, coriander or something, to me; delicious in the right place where it adds to the flavour, but I don’t want it on everything…I don’t need it on my chips or my roast beef or my lemon cheesecake.

Some guitarists seem to feel the need to put it on everything. 
    I think that's very much his unique selling point, though. He's the slide guitar player for the instagram neo-soul generation. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    He's part of the "thick string brigade" , small collective who take great kudos in using telegraph wire for strings. I like Ariel, Joey Landreth and Josh Smith, but is it me or does their playing getting worse every time they go up a string gauge? Just duller tone and more wrestle / less music. Slap some 10's on fellas and crack on.......
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    I've never liked slide guitar to be honest. The sound is mildly irritating to me but I can put up with a bit in the right song.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    My first though was I bet he's got a few Jeff Beck albums...
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Oh, that definitely floats my boat. Thanks for posting this up. Slide on a baritone electric is a particular favourite of mine and Posen is a master of the art. :+1: 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    edited March 2022
    merlin said:
    Anal Poseur. 

Very good.

Edit: before anyone gets their panties in a twist, very good anagram, I'm not implying anything about the man himself.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...