Spot the error. Truss rods

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 17495
I was just helping someone with some truss rod guidance. 

It can always be difficult over messages as some of the terms are confusing and may even seem backwards. For example,  Talking about a forward or back bow makes sense when you realise it refers to the impact of the bow on the headstock end, not the "hump" of the curve in the middle of the neck.

They sent me the diagram they were using.  I went to YouTube to look for a handy guide, finding where the diagram had originated. It's one of the top results when you search for an explanation of how truss rods work.... it has a massively misleading error.

Worth reading the pinned comments too.  Apparently it's all about perspective.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 5053
    Where can I get curved strings?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2776
    Which way is clockwise when I’m looking at the neck from the side
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    elstoof said:
    Which way is clockwise when I’m looking at the neck from the side
    Righty tighty, unless you are below the equator 
    You need to check the time of day before adjusting if you happen to live on Uranus
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9013
    edited March 2022
    He says the same thing in one of his other video.  The whole video deviates from what most people with real and relevant experience mostly agree on, but listen starting from the 1:55 marker.  "With the forward bow we're going to make a counter clockwise adjustment to take away some of the relief".  If you read his beligerent arguments in the comments below his other video in support of his arse-for-elbow references to clockwise and counter-clockwise, i.e. (paraphrased) "I look at it from the body end down the neck when referring to the direction of turn", in this particular video he IS looking at it from the body end BUT the adjustment is facing him this time and he STILL gets it wrong.  Immediately after he says this he then goes on to explain that some manufacturers have apparently and mysteriously made their truss rods with left-handed threads so that they work the opposite way and that you should check what way your truss rod works!!  The twit is far too opinionated for his skill and knowledge level and is far too eager to argue with people that clearly know more.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74477
    For the avoidance of confusion, the direction of rotation of any rotary adjustment is *always* described as when you're looking *towards* the adjuster, not away from it.

Also, in the diagrams, the forward bow is shown as causing buzzing near the nut, which is wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 17495
    ICBM said:

Also, in the diagrams, the forward bow is shown as causing buzzing near the nut, which is wrong.
    Same with the back bow not causing buzzing near the nut, unless those strings really do curve :D 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1050
    Strings really do curve!

That's what happens when they vibrate, which is how you hear and play guitars.

Before you all moan, I'm being pedantically correct!
    The lad’s an idiot
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom