Mustang body with Jazzmaster trem rout. Ideas for finishing, pickups etc?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1550
edited March 2022 in Making & Modding
Got this recently from Rosser guitars. Was going to sell it, but popped in a spare trem and a volume and tone last night out of curiosity, and think I'll keep it! JM trem fits perfectly.
I have a Seymour Duncan JB junior lying around, so was thinking of popping it in the neck position, so neck position only guitar, which might seem a waste not having all the switching options a Mustang provides.
I was also thinking of a buttercream / butterscotch finish.
Other option is to go all out, get a sparkle finish and standard Mustang set up, but with strat pickups. (ala Bilinda Butcher)
I have an Iron Gear strat pickup in the neck position of an Affinity/Bullet Mustang, and it sounds lovely.
But yeah, any thoughts on what could work? I don't want to put standard size humbucker in there, I'd rather keep it single coil size at least.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    edited March 2022
    This is my take Guitarbuild Swamp Ash body, modded Toronado bridge, Squier Bullet Mustang neck.
    Pickups are Bare Knuckle Sinner neck pickup at the bridge (hot SC) Iron Gear Hot Slag neck pickup at the neck, the switch nearest the bridge selects the pickups, the other fills the gap, I didnt really rate the second switch options, its a sect one pickup switch position and use it sort of guitar, not really practical to be switching between  pickups mid song….works for me, the high output pickjps work for me…
    Paint is from the auto paint supplier in rattle can no primer or sealer, so it highlights the grain

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    I have a Seymour Duncan JB junior lying around, so was thinking of popping it in the neck position, so neck position only guitar.
    There is a hefty output difference between the bridge and neck/middle versions of the JB Junior. An SJBJ-1B in the neck position may be a bit much.

By the most amazing coincidence, I have an SJBJ-1N in the tasteful white with plenty of output cable on it.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1550
    I'll rethink the pickups then! 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Oh man. Whatever you do, please don't hide that beautiful grain under a solid colour!

If it was mine I'd have to go with a good old-fashioned burst.
    Deadman said:
    Oh man. Whatever you do, please don't hide that beautiful grain under a solid colour!

I’m going to try and do it myself with some Crimson butterscotch so guessing the grain might remain ?
    Deadman said:

I’m going to try and do it myself with some Crimson butterscotch so guessing the grain might remain ?
    Maybe, but that sounds really nice anyway! Crimson butterscotch? Woah. Yes. 
    @Deadman my mistake . I mean Butterscotch bought from Crimson guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2851
    paulnb57 said:
    This is my take Guitarbuild Swamp Ash body, modded Toronado bridge, Squier Bullet Mustang neck.
    Pickups are Bare Knuckle Sinner neck pickup at the bridge (hot SC) Iron Gear Hot Slag neck pickup at the neck, the switch nearest the bridge selects the pickups, the other fills the gap, I didnt really rate the second switch options, its a sect one pickup switch position and use it sort of guitar, not really practical to be switching between  pickups mid song….works for me, the high output pickjps work for me…
    Paint is from the auto paint supplier in rattle can no primer or sealer, so it highlights the grain

I'm a big fan of showing the grain if you can, and this looks really good. Novo are doing this a lot but with a different wood I think. 

What grade did you sand down to before painting? 
    @Deadman my mistake . I mean Butterscotch bought from Crimson guitars
    Haha. Hey it sounded great though!  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    edited April 2022
    Fuengi said:
    paulnb57 said:

I'm a big fan of showing the grain if you can, and this looks really good. Novo are doing this a lot but with a different wood I think. 

What grade did you sand down to before painting? 
    I didn't sand it at all, never have with a body from Guitarbuild, no sealer or primer, the first coat of paint seals it, then apply coats until happy, its my preference with Swamp Ash you can still appreciate the grain…thats the paint straight from the can, no buffing or polishing, Ive never needed to sand or buff either.
    With few exceptions I use paint from the local business that supplies paint to car body shops, vastly superior to anything else…the exception is Satin and Matte from Halfords, the rest is utter shite….if I wanted Nitro Id use @SteveRobinson at Manchester Guitar Tech
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom