Short/Med scale

What's Hot
bertiebertie Frets: 13564
edited March 2022 in Bass
ok - so give me some pro's/cons  on the various shorter scale lengths

its just for farting about at home /  non-serious recording malarky so not really looking to spend much more than £200/£250 

34 is out the window so dont even bother

thankee kindly
just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
 just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    I've got a 32" 80s Squier P bass, and a cheapy 30" Ibanez.  The 32" does seem to keep some of the punch that the shorter scale loses.  It doesn't quite sound like a full fat P bass though.  I don't know if that's just because of the scale length, or the fact that the body is slightly reduced in size.

I did have a 32" Ibanez Mezzo for a while, but I didn't like the active electronics.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    edited March 2022
    I recently bought a Gretsch junior jet bass (for munckee jr), £310 brand new I think, light, 30 inch scale and sounds like a bass and plays well.  I'm not a proper bassist but for messing about with is perfect for the job.

https://i.imgur.com/Kt6omgm.jpg ;
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    munckee said:
    I recently bought a Gretsch junior jet bass, £310 brand new I think, light, 30 inch scale and sounds like a bass and plays well.  I'm not a proper bassist but for messing about with is perfect for the job.
    yeah -  that's where Im "sitting"      

I was tempted by a couple of Ibanez  - but they're 28.5"  - so "wondering"  how much that impacts it, considering the "lack of things"  I need it for  =)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23955
    The Ibanez Mezzo 32 inch scales are very nice and are within budget.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Ibanez Mezzo 32 inch scales are very nice and are within budget.
    They are, I have one. I'm just an occasional bass dabbler; it does the job nicely and is very easy to play. 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1307
    edited March 2022
    From another thread...

"Her daughter goes to, or I think possibly runs a jam night in Essex.  Mate of mine and the bass player from his band were there, with his favoured short scale bass.  Suzi (Quatro) turned up and was encouraged to sit in,  picked up the bass and said "what pussy plays this"!  "

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    meow
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 255
    I have 34” 32” and 30”, even with shortish arthritic fingers, it’s 32” for me.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    I have a slightly modded Squier Bronco, its great!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    Overgeneralising somewhat deliberately. 

30" is for when you want a thumpy shortscale sound. 
    32" is for when you want a "normal" sound but have stubby fingers. 
    28" is for when you should just buy a guitar. 

Personally I like 32" the most, but there are bugger all 32" options out there. There's the Ibanez Mezzo and thats about it. 

If I was spending £200, and 34" basses were out, then I'd buy a Mezzo. Much more versatile than a 30". 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I've said this before I know, but the design and construction of the bass is much more important than the scale length.

For example, a Fender/Squier Mustang Bass sounds completely different from a Gibson/Epiphone EB-0, and they also feel quite different too - despite both being 30" scale. The Mustang feels and sounds much more like a slightly smaller Precision than it does like the EB.

Choose based on the type of sound you prefer - if you want to sound like Jack Bruce or Andy Fraser then an Epiphone EB is going to be the most suitable regardless of scale length. If you want to sound like Flea there's a short-scale OLP version of the Stingray available... and so on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    I've said this before I know, but the design and construction of the bass is much more important than the scale length.

not for someone who "physically" cannot manage a 34"    :) 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23955
    bertie said:
    ICBM said:

He means that a 30 scale bass can be built to sound like a regular 34.

The old 30=thuddy just isn’t true anymore.
    bertie said:

He means that a 30 scale bass can be built to sound like a regular 34.

The old 30=thuddy just isn’t true anymore.
    Exactly - and it never really was. Like I said, a Mustang Bass isn't really a thuddy-sounding bass despite being a 30" scale - at least not if you use the right strings.

What I meant was that a scale length by itself doesn't have a sound, really - it's the other aspects of the design and construction of the bass which do. The scale length is only a small factor.

I'm still surprised you 'can't physically manage' a 34" - I'm 5'6" with small hands and I can. I find neck size a much more important factor in whether I can get on with a bass or not, and the geometry - for example, I find my Aria SB 34"-scale fretless effortless to play, but I struggle with a Gibson EB even with a fairly thin neck, because the whole thing is too far to the left.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

edited April 2022
    ICBM said:

I'm still surprised you 'can't physically manage' a 34" - I'm 5'6" with small hands and I can.
    shoulder and elbow problems,   TBH some days I struggle with a "25"  guitar  and have to play "spanish" stye   or capo at the 2nd
    bertie said:

shoulder and elbow problems,   TBH some days I struggle with a "25"  guitar  and have to play "spanish" stye   or capo at the 2nd
    Ah, fair enough :).

When I broke my left elbow badly a few years ago I couldn't play my Rickenbacker (33.25" scale - yes, they just have to be different...!) properly for a while, so I used a Fender Mustang Bass for gigs.

Which is also how I know that short scale doesn't really mean a different sound. It did sound slightly different.... and I mean slightly. I can guarantee that no-one who wasn't on the stage noticed.

The Mustang is also very good for the left-arm-challenged as it's not only short scale, the neck is set very deeply into the body so it feels much shorter than even most other short-scales.

The Squier Bronco is also worth considering, it's the same body shape and although it's very cheaply-built in some ways, they usually sound pretty decent. A friend has one which is genuinely great, although they're not all quite that good...

edited April 2022
    ICBM said:
    bertie said:

Ah, fair enough .

When I broke my left elbow badly a few years ago I couldn't play my Rickenbacker (33.25" scale - yes, they just have to be different...!) properly for a while, so I used a Fender Mustang Bass for gigs.

Which is also how I know that short scale doesn't really mean a different sound. It did sound slightly different.... and I mean slightly. I can guarantee that no-one who wasn't on the stage noticed.

The Mustang is also very good for the left-arm-challenged as it's not only short scale, the neck is set very deeply into the body so it feels much shorter than even most other short-scales.

The Squier Bronco is also worth considering, it's the same body shape and although it's very cheaply-built in some ways, they usually sound pretty decent. A friend has one which is genuinely great, although they're not all quite that good...
    its actually induced by the "wrist"   but its the tendons at the elbow that are the issue,  I had them debrided/repaired about 18 months ago - and they're not "healing" well (yes even with physio Oli

so its the "mechanical playability" that is the #1 criteria,   sound "not so" important - but obviously dont want something that sounds just like a down tuned "bottom E" 

cosmetically,  Id prefer something with a r/wood board............not more  "not maple"   =)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    bertie said:

cosmetically,  Id prefer something with a r/wood board............not more  "not maple"   =)
    Do you mean "not Indian Laurel"? :)

I'd just get one and some rosewood stain, to be honest... once they're darkened a bit there's really not much difference compared to some of the nasty rosewood that's often used now.

If so then the Squier Classic Vibe Mustang should be within budget second hand.

ICBM said:
    bertie said:

Do you mean "not Indian Laurel"? :)

I'd just get one and some rosewood stain, to be honest... once they're darkened a bit there's really not much difference compared to some of the nasty rosewood that's often used now.

If so then the Squier Classic Vibe Mustang should be within budget second hand.
    no,  I just really dont like maple fretboards  :)