Another mod looking for ideas? Albert Lee HH unfinished body

What's Hot
Hi guys. I was initially thinking of getting rid of the body, but I think I will hold on to it too. The aluminium neck is something I may sell. I'm not too sure about it, but the mockup below was what I had been thinking of.
I have a gold pickguard, so thinking of some kind of natural finish. 
Might go with a standard strat neck, a baritone strat neck or the alu!! Totally undecided!!
Any thoughts from the pros and experts on pimping up this body?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paganskinspaganskins Frets: 277
    The angles and curves on the aluminium headstock do echo the lines of the AL body nicely.

Without seeing them together don't know if the gold guard would go with the neck, if it was me I'd be going full on Jetsons and a sparkle finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1550
    @paganskins yeah, a sparkly finish might be cool! Gold sparkle to go with the gold pickguard!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1436
    Get Pat at Dolmen Guitars in Newcastle West to finish it/put it together for you. Even with quality parts, the finishing touch makes all the difference if you don’t have the skills yourself 
    Get Pat at Dolmen Guitars in Newcastle West to finish it/put it together for you. Even with quality parts, the finishing touch makes all the difference if you don’t have the skills yourself 
    I’m not too far away from him. I played one of his own guitars the other day. GAS. I was going to give it to him either way!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    I love the neck with the body. I can see it working with a gold guard, but id suggest a black stain for the body. That'll leave some grain showing, but showcase the metal elements.

Then some gold foil pickups. Or Alumitones might look very spiffy. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    I would oil the body, its a nice bit o wood, black plate, not sure gold would work with the ally neck….or use gold and a wood neck….then send me the ally neck… =)
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

paulnb57 said:
    I would oil the body, its a nice bit o wood, black plate, not sure gold would work with the ally neck….or use gold and a wood neck….then send me the ally neck… =)
    If you’re interested in the neck , I’m 50/50 about it at the moment !
    edited April 2022
    https://i.imgur.com/hhWJ0Sb.jpg

with the gold pickguard as a mock-up 
    https://i.imgur.com/hhWJ0Sb.jpg

with the gold pickguard as a mock-up 
    Looks great, with a shoreline gold finish
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Creed_Clicks Any idea what pickups you are going to go for?

@Creed_Clicks Any idea what pickups you are going to go for?

Not too sure. Some good recommendations above. I was thinking of humbucker sized filtertron type pickups.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    edited April 2022
    Another one!?

My two penny worth.

Although the grain is nice, I probably wouldn’t try too hard not to hide it behind paint on this occasion.

With that gold guard, anything would work. The shoreline gold suggestion is good, I’d go as far as Aztec gold, just because. Gold!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Another odd question. Once I finish staining the body with some Crimson stain (Crimson the company) should I put a final coat of something as a kind of “protective” layer ..?
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3221
    edited April 2022
    Another odd question. Once I finish staining the body with some Crimson stain (Crimson the company) should I put a final coat of something as a kind of “protective” layer ..?
     Yes!…Oil or Lacquer or Wipe on Poly, etc it needs to be sealed and protected with something
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    A little update on the body. I am now thinking of a single Mojo Dual Foil Humbucker, so would have to get a new pickguard done.

• normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    Looking nice
    Thanks !