SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: Epiphone Japan Les Paul Standard LPS-80

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8547
edited January 2023 in Guitars £
Made in Japan at the FujiGen factory in 2000. Maple cap, 2-piece mahogany body, Mahogany neck & rosewood fingerboard, classic open-book headstock shape. Not an expert on necks but slim 60's, I think.

I got it thinking it'd be perfect for a band I'd just started out with, but I've ended up playing a lot more with edge of clean sounds on my Strat and Filtertron equipped Gretsch, and it's a shame for this to just be hanging in my bedroom.

Set up by the Little Guitar shop in Birmingham. Frets have very little wear. I know it's a cliché, but this will go toe to toe with a good USA Gibson LP Standard in how well it's put together, the quality of wood used, the standard of binding etc. The stock bridge has been changed for a Faber which is solid as a rock - the guitar's very stable tuning-wise. It's also got Schaller S-Lock strap locks fitted.

Sale includes the original bridge and a Tour-Tech hard case from PMT.

A couple of knocks to mention - a small ding in the top corner of the headstock, and an area under the tail piece where some finish has cracked off - both shown in the photos. Other than that, a couple of small difficult to photo dents in the finish on the back.

More Photos Here;

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzNU1t

Looking for £800  £750, £700 SOLD either collected from Birmingham or meeting up in person. Want to avoid posting just because it's so much extra risk/stress. 
0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5584
    Ooooh, shiny 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10342
    thats a pretty rare thing indeed. GLWTS
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8547
    Cheers, it's a beautiful guitar. I suspect most people are going to see Epiphone, the price and not see the value - I've already had a couple of (rather rude) laughs on facebook. This range are easily up there with the best of Tokai, Burny etc, the only thing it's lacking is a nitro finish, for anyone who cares about that.
  • pruddprudd Frets: 682
    I have owned owned one of these and my brother has a MIJ Epi SG from the same year, very good guitars IMO, and as far as I know these evolved from the Orville by Gibson range when they stopped using that name in the late 90's.

GLWTS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, that's my understanding too - same business reason, to make a Gibson-USA quality guitar for Japan's domestic market & get around import duties, or something like that. Except the Japanese factory made them way more consistently, no issues with tool marks or badly fitted binding.

I've taken a few guitars in to the Little Guitar Shop for work, this is the only one that had the owner calling another member of staff through to admire the quality of the craftsmanship.

If only the LP sound worked for the music I was playing, rather than me always going back to twangier, trem equipped guitars... :'(
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2486
    Essentially a Gibson Les Paul built to Japanese standards. A winning combination IMHO. Have a free bump  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6337
      Cracking guitar these MIJ Epiphones.  Correct open-book headstocks with a very high quality build and as rare as hen's teeth.
    I've got the LPC-80 model, i.e. the Custom version and it's a corker, right up there with the best Greco and Edwards guitars.
    Good luck with the sale.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    edited May 2022
    Bump
    Bump, come get sexy Les Paul.

Sexy Les Paul is sexy.

Les Paul Sexy is Les Paul.

Epiphone. Japan. Made for Gibson. Sexy. Feel the burn. Buy the guitar. Live the dream, bro.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bump. I'd withdrawn this, but a couple of months down the line I'm just not using it enough.
    Bump
    Bump for the coming weekend. This is a very nice guitar, perfect setup, slim '60s neck. I'd keep it if I didn't inexplicably love my (cheaper and worse) Gretsch Electromatic so much. Will consider offers.
    Bump with price drop to £750
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13584
    edited September 2022
    removed - I cant read
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    You're the last one to touch it, so you have to buy it. Sorry mate.
  • This is so nice. I'd be dm'ing you if I hadn't bought @Iamnobody 's lovely Gold Top recently. 

What are people waiting for?!
    edited September 2022
    Bump!

And some honest subjectives, for anyone who's on the fence:

Reasons to buy it: The setup - action, intonation, tuning stability, sustain etc are fantastic. The fretboard is a joy to play. It's set up with 11-52s. The build is excellent. When I took it to the Little Guitar Shop in Birmingham to get the Faber bridge fitted, the guy called his mate over to check out the binding - "If only Gibson could do it like that." The stock, crappy, pots, pickup switch and caps have been replaced with good quality ones.

Reasons to walk on by: Relatively heavy - around 10lbs, so far from a boat anchor, but definitely not a light instrument. Kind of tail heavy, too - if you balance it on your right leg sat down, it'll fall to the right if you don't hold the neck. The stock pickups are probably not going to be your cup of tea; low output and a little muffled. They've got loads of character with distortion, kinda Klon-like midrange roar on the bridge pickup*, but if I were keeping it I'd definitely have kept my T-Top clones in it, because they're a bit flat clean.

* Think '90s Monster/ Automatic era R.E.M. - that big dirty midrange gain sound.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10921
    This has better tuners than the Gibson USA box ones
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2486
    This would sit nicely alongside the genuinely fantastic MIJ Epi SG I got off @prudd . The build quality is top notch, and the neck is one of the best I’ve played. I imagine this is just as good.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Very nice!