RF Custom - Guitar Finishing

What's Hot
RobFleetRobFleet Frets: 27
edited April 2022 in Made in the UK
Hi there..

Just want to let everyone know that my new spray shop is now officially up and running ( as of the 1st April ). I have been mentioned on here before and have had some past customers put up some great comments and photos, which was nice.

As I get going, ill start posting photos that may interest you all and happy to give out help and advice on finishing work you may be interested in.

For those of you that are wondering who I am, I'm Rob ( Fleet ) and I worked for 18 years at the Sims Spray Shop in Kent as there guitar sprayer. Over the years I've been involved with many projects for companies like Fender and have worked closely with many UK companies that are active on here. With the closure of the Sims Spray Shop back in January, I decided to carry on and set up on my own, under my own company name of RF Custom.

Thanks and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers

Rob.

www.rfcustom.co.uk/
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JimJim Frets: 20
    Hi Rob,
    I'm always on the lookout for refinishing places so good to see a new one! Especially if you're ex Sims as we all know the high quality work they put out. What kind of turnaround are we looking at?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobFleetRobFleet Frets: 27
    Hi there @Jim ;

The quickest turnaround on spraywork, which would be for a modern 2k poly, high gloss, is about 4 weeks at present. I do also offer a modern 2k Acrylic finish, which is mainly for very light, colour sensitive finishes. This usually takes an extra few weeks because of the longer application and curing time. Nitro finishes also fall under this timeframe also, so about 4 - 6 weeks for Acrylic and Nitro.

Hope this all helps and feel free to contact me for any particular jobs you are thinking about.

Thanks

Rob
    RF Custom
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm very tempted! I'm a big fan of modern high gloss finishes.
    Also interested in the custom neck options too! Would you be able to roughly copy a neck profile? I have a couple of 90s Ibanez necks that I'm particularly attached to but would like them on different guitars. 
    That said, until later this year this is all daydreaming!
    Yes i would be able to copy a neck profile if i have the neck here. I have a few different back profiles and could modify one of them to suit your neck. There may be a slight charge for computer work, if I'm making a new Cad file, but that would depend how different it is to what i use. If its only slight, then it could be done within the sanding process.

Thanks

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2022
    A few pics of recent jobs that I've been working on. A nice trans blue body, for Stormshadow Guitarworks and a burnt orange candy colour on one of my own test Strat bodies. The orange Strat is pre top coat, as soon as its all lacquered and polished, ill upload a pic so you can see the difference.

https://www.facebook.com/rfcustomuk/photos/pcb.350384203824637/350384163824641/
    https://www.facebook.com/rfcustomuk/photos/pcb.350384203824637/350384167157974
    https://www.facebook.com/rfcustomuk/photos/a.141339924729067/344166884446369/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Stunning work!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    No photo description available
    May be an image of guitar
    No photo description available

Embedding the pics here - just because they're too wow to hide behind a link
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 293
    I have known Rob for years and he is not only a top notch craftsman but also a thoroughly nice bloke. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    Ok - a couple of ones from last year - these are in stock and for sale in case you fall in love with them

Monty's PAFs in this one

BKP Abraxas in this slimmer Lion

This one has Cream T Whiskerbuckers

This one has Cream T Bernie Buckers

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FatboylimFatboylim Frets: 14
    edited May 2022
    Brilliant that we can access industry grade work like yours. A quick question, are you open to semi acoustic and acoustic guitar nitro finishes? 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Hi there @Fatboylim ;

I generally work on solid bodied guitars and basses, but have sprayed quite a few acoustics over the years. Re-spraying acoustic fronts that already have bridges glued on, does cause issues with polishing as you get a textured area close up to the bridge where the polishing mop can get to. I'm happy to run through details of issues, if you wanted to email something you have in mind.

Rob.
    Thanks @TTony for uploading the images. I'm new to forums and haven't worked out how to embed them in a post as yet. Ill try and work that out for the next lot of photos I get together!

Rob.
    edited June 2022
    A recent colour lacquer encapsulation.
    Quite an old Jem body that didn't have a proper protective finish. Now it does and will last for years to come..

http://www.facebook.com/rfcustomuk/photos/pcb.366825972180460/366825902180467
    https://www.facebook.com/rfcustomuk/photos/pcb.366825972180460/366825908847133

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    RobFleet said:
    A recent colour lacquer encapsulation.
    Quite an old Jem body that didn't have a proper protective finish. Now it does and will last for years to come..

http://www.facebook.com/rfcustomuk/photos/pcb.366825972180460/366825902180467
    https://www.facebook.com/rfcustomuk/photos/pcb.366825972180460/366825908847133

I suspect this was a recent swirl done by Richard Fay.. he isn't clear coating currently...  you could have a bit of work via that route... how much did you charge to clear lacquer this guitar?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

For a job like this, which was a clear coat over the swirled body, i charge £250 to fully encapsulate the swirl with a hard durable 2k lacquer. My usual clear coat charge is £295, for say a clear over a bare wood body.

I believe this was quite an old body and the swirl was done by another company, although not sure if Richard Fay was involved with that particular company.

Rob..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Just out of interest, what would be the ballpark figure to strip & refinish a neck-thru strat shape?
    Say just a solid colour like Seafoam Green. The ones I have my eye on are currently matte black on the body, neck, headstock... Everywhere.
    @Jim ;
    I charge £155.00 to strip a full set neck guitar.
    To respray a set neck in a solid colour, prices start from around £485.00
    Feel free to email with photos etc.. just so I can see the guitar and make sure pricing is correct.

Many thanks

Rob
    RF Custom

rob@rfcustom.co.uk
    Thanks Rob, that's a great price. I paid something similar for a body & headstock face previously.
    I haven't got the guitar yet, still looking at my options :)
    edited August 2022
    Another durable high gloss top coat applied to a Richard Fay swirled Jem body.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom