SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB original 1958 - 1960 Les Paul Junior DC SORTED

What's Hot
alanbass1alanbass1 Frets: 108
edited April 2022 in Guitars £
Any out there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TDubsTDubs Frets: 736
    Not quite what you are after but have you seen this? Seems to have some provenance too. No affiliation to seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294864469496?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=iPv7huWZRGG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=fp6us6WgSwu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10923
    Wow shame the bigsby was taken off but that looks superb to my untrained eye

Wonder what @IvisonGuitars has to say about it
  • PC1971PC1971 Frets: 386
    There's a '58 DC Cherry at V 'n' R Bath. Had a noodle on it yesterday. You'll need deep pockets but it's an exceptional example. ;-)  @alanbass1 ;
  • alanbass1alanbass1 Frets: 108
    Ouch, that’s way over what I’m looking to pay 
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
    PC1971 said:
    There's a '58 DC Cherry at V 'n' R Bath. Had a noodle on it yesterday. You'll need deep pockets but it's an exceptional example. ;-)  @alanbass1 ;
    That is lovely
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1678
    TDubs said:
    Not quite what you are after but have you seen this? Seems to have some provenance too. No affiliation to seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294864469496?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=iPv7huWZRGG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=fp6us6WgSwu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Lovely. And single owner from new is pretty rare.  He's not entirely right about the signature going in late '59.  They may have dropped the name in the catalogues but they seemed to sporadically keep labelling them Les Paul Specials.  I have one made a few months after his and it's got the signature logo.  Although mine and it's case is more battered than his!
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I’ve got a 60s reissue custom shop DC special up for sale?
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5189
    edited April 2022
    rico said:
    I’ve got a 60s reissue custom shop DC special up for sale?
    If yours had a P90 in the neck rather than a Firebird pickup, I would’ve bought it by now! GLWTS. 
    PC1971 said:
    There's a '58 DC Cherry at V 'n' R Bath. Had a noodle on it yesterday. You'll need deep pockets but it's an exceptional example. ;-)  @alanbass1 
    Very nice, but twelve grand, WTAF?!
    https://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/collections/featured-gear/products/1958-gibson-les-paul-junior-cherry
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Yeah the price makes me a bit sad. But if you owned one it would probably provoke the opposite feeling
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 928
    I recently bought a 57 LPJ and probably overpaid but there really isn’t anything quite like one of the oldies in my experience, no regrets!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    My only regret is that I've put it off for so long @tomajoha. I think it's a very sensible thing to own. Congrats
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shobetshobet Frets: 180
    That one at V&R is quite a rare beast though. It will be one of the first double cuts with the 4 digit number, sharper body edges, and the soapbar under the dog ear cover. It's only a few hundred away from mine, though I didn't pay that for it though. :open_mouth: 
    Do ursus deposit feculence in the thicket?

Here endeth the lesson. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2449
    PC1971 said:
    There's a '58 DC Cherry at V 'n' R Bath. Had a noodle on it yesterday. You'll need deep pockets but it's an exceptional example. ;-)  @alanbass1 
    https://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/collections/featured-gear/products/1958-gibson-les-paul-junior-cherry
    And to think I sold my '59 DC jr for £80 :cry

That was a long time ago though when it was considered just 'an old guitar'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5266
    Jimbro66 said:
    PC1971 said:
    And to think I sold my '59 DC jr for £80 :cry

That was a long time ago though when it was considered just 'an old guitar'.
    Was that in 1958?  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 456
    That V & R one is in exceptional condition too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • alanbass1alanbass1 Frets: 108
    Got the Special that TDubs put me onto (thanks TDub).  Purchased from the original owner from new (Ron who is 80 and a really nice guy).  Even got a photo of him with the guitar back in the 60’s, plus all original paperwork and tags etc. Even better it has an original brown lifton case he purchased with the guitar.  The only thing is for me to play it I will need to get a refret which detracts from originality but I wanted a guitar to play!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15251
    tFB Trader
    alanbass1 said:
    Got the Special that TDubs put me onto (thanks TDub).  Purchased from the original owner from new (Ron who is 80 and a really nice guy).  Even got a photo of him with the guitar back in the 60’s, plus all original paperwork and tags etc. Even better it has an original brown lifton case he purchased with the guitar.  The only thing is for me to play it I will need to get a refret which detracts from originality but I wanted a guitar to play!
    Please do not worry about a re-fret and originality - I'd much prefer an old guitar like yours that is playable, as against not playable - I see no reason why such a change should have any impact whatsoever on future value - If anything it should make the guitar more 'desirable'

Just get a good professional fret job with a set of fret wire that you like
    alanbass1 said:
    That was a score, congrats. I did think about it myself. Looks fab in the photos and I'm sure it is. If you get it refretted you could keep the original frets in a bag in the case.  They'd be useless but could possibly add value for a collector
  • greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 511
    alanbass1 said:
    Top work! That looked great 
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 736
    alanbass1 said:
    Excellent! So first dibs on it at a discounted rate when you move it as a thank you, right @alanbass1 ?