RHCP - Unlimited love

What's Hot
DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
What’s the verdict? It’s no BSSM. Those days are obviously long gone.

I’m finding myself Dad-bouncing away to it though. It’s pleasant. But doubt it’s going in my coffin.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5321
    edited April 2022
    He sounds a bit like a Cornish Pirate on the recent single……or Captain Birdseye
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Doesn’t he!. @tone1 ;

Further opinions:

1. Flea has enjoyed himself. The basslines are very nice ear candy.

2. Chad did the drums. Very well. But probably can’t wait to do something else.

3. AK. I used to love him.

4. JF. He’s back! But is he loving it? I doubt it.

Whoever did the brass sections is brilliant. I can’t wait to Dad-dance to some of that shit.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    It’s a nice record to cook dinner to, and I’m really glad JF is back 

But Californication will never be bettered
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Solo on ‘She’s a lover’. Yes.

Ha! Best way to listen to new material. BSSM >Californication though  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    tone1 said:
    He sounds a bit like a Cornish Pirate on the recent single……or Captain Birdseye
    Only heard this one, it does basically sound like a sea shanty, but I do like the guitar playing and solo. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5215
    Deadman said:

Ha! Best way to listen to new material. BSSM >Californication though  ;)
    I'm with Mike, Californication is killer front to back, BSSM is obvs great but Cali is my number 1. I'm well behind, I'm only just getting into Stadium, hahahaha

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1223
    Why has nobody mentioned the fact that JF is probably back cos he needs the money?

That said the album is pretty solid. Majority of the songs are nonsense but there is a good vibe overall. Maybe about 4 or 5 that stand out - Black Summer, Here Ever After, These are the Ways.

The bootleg video on Youtube of their first show back is worth a watch. Chad Smith is an AMAZING drummer.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10236
    Reckon it’d be better if it was 8-10 tracks, not 17. There are some poor tracks on it. 
    Black Summer is the absolute standout for me.
    JFs guitar working is great, flea is great, but not sure they gel together. It feels overall like a band going through the motions and trying to relive past glories.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    edited April 2022
    I'm liking it more after a few listens. It's 25-30% too long, same as every RHCP record, but it's not bad.

Better than Stadium Arcadium for sure, but not as good as BSCM, Cali and BTW
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1223
    It's just always hard to know when they are being genuine. Or I should say when Kiedis is being genuine. He does write absolute nonsense over and over again. In the recent interviews he admitted that he writes the lyrics at the last second due to procrastination and it shows throughout their career. But then when he is being vulnerable and honest and open (which is only on a handful of songs over 40 years) you get their best tunes - Under the Bridge, Otherside, Scar Tissue, Desecration Smile.
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 375
    I am enjoying it a lot, it’s probably a bit mellow for long time Chilli’s fans but I like it. The four of them just seem to knit together so well. A few fave tracks for me are Aquatic Mouth Dance, Not The One and Black Summer. Like a certain Mr Simpson, I love Frusciante’s work, I think its the hook into the band for me.
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25570
    Deadman said:
    Doesn’t he!. @tone1 ;

Further opinions:

Whoever did the brass sections is brilliant. I can’t wait to Dad-dance to some of that shit.

Did Flea do the brass? He's an amazing trumpet player.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    Deadman said:
    Chad did the drums. Very well. But probably can’t wait to do something else.

He's going to be on the next Ozzy Osbourne album, I believe, just as he was on the last one.

I didn't realise the RHCP album was out already.  I'll have a listen tomorrow.
    Deadman said:
    Doesn’t he!. @tone1 ;

Further opinions:

Did Flea do the brass? He's an amazing trumpet player.
    Yes he is and I wondered that myself after I typed it. Quite possible.

Philly_Q said:
    Deadman said:
    Chad did the drums. Very well. But probably can’t wait to do something else.

He's going to be on the next Ozzy Osbourne album, I believe, just as he was on the last one.

I didn't realise the RHCP album was out already.  I'll have a listen tomorrow.
    But still not as good as Will Ferrell  ;)

I like it. I have to. Been a fan since 1991! However. It lacks balls. In my opinion. And a bit of attitude. But. They’re getting on I suppose and so am I.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    Deadman said:
    I like it. I have to. Been a fan since 1991! However. It lacks balls. In my opinion. And a bit of attitude. But. They’re getting on I suppose and so am I.
    The first of their albums I bought was Mother's Milk, so I guess I've been a fan since 1989, but only on-and-off. 

I found Stadium Arcadium boring and I just couldn't bring myself to take any interest in the Josh Klinghoffer years.  I do want to at least listen to this, now that Frusciante's back.... but it sounds like there are no surprises.
    edited April 2022
    Yeah I’ve been on and off since SA. I dug deep into that album though and actually rate quite a few tracks quite highly. It all went totally off the boil after that for me and I turned my back on them and only listened to JF solo stuff.

Poor old Josh Klinghoffer. Great guitarist but boots that are impossible to fill in this band.

Give this a listen though. You can be in the official RHCP Dad rock club and bounce around in your kitchen with the rest of us.