I'm a guitarist who loves dub bass
I fancy trying a 5 string, I hate single coil background noise
I wondered about a Harley Benton
My bass player mate recommends a Yamaha Precision-type model
I'd be buying used
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    I have a very nice Ibanez Soundgear 5-string for sale - it's not Precision-type, but it has a front pickup (two humbuckers in fact) and active EQ... :)

It has a slim neck by 5-string standards so you'd probably find it a bit easier to adjust to coming from guitar. Not as cheap as a Harley Benton, but you're unlikely to find a better bass for less money.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24201
    I find most 5 string P basses suffer from excessive flub on the B string. Doesn't matter how much is spent on them so I suspect it's about the pickup type and position.

Reverse pickup installations where the BEA string part of the pickup is further back work far better, but something with a bridge pickup as well is better again.

The Ibanez Mezzo 5 string (32 scale) works very well (is a PJ) and if you are looking for deep dub sounds then a set of Dunlop flatwounds would be a perfect match. That's what I've got on my Mezzo 5.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    edited April 2022
    What they said.

In my opinion, Fender/Squier P Bass guitars stray out of their comfort zone when a low B string is added. (Even retuning a four string to BEAD.)

The traditional split coils pickup is mid heavy. It runs out of steam a bit with really low notes. Extending one coil to sense three strings rather than two seems to make things worse.

My solution is to go active.

Yamaha build quality is excellent - even at the 100 series level. The hardware and electronics get a bit cheap 'n' nasty but the woodwork and fretting are first class. 

Single coil pickup woes can be cured with replacement pickups. If you choose a J style, the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pair is hum-cancelling and produces a meaty sound. For the HB '51 style P Bass, an EMG-SA pickup and pots deliver the goods. 

Obviously, a pre-owned bass guitar plus replacement pickups could get expensive and will require some electronical installation work. Might be quicker, easier and cheaper to buy ICBM's 'nez.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I’ve got a Yamaha 415, they are a great bass for the money, really well built and mine has a super low action, with the switch on the neck pickup you can get a great dub sound 
    Riddim up
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    edited April 2022
    Many many thanks and much respect to ICBM for excellent advice
  • Many many thanks and much respect to ICBM for excellent advice
    Did you get the Ibanez, how are you getting on 
    Riddim up
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    Many many thanks and much respect to ICBM for excellent advice