Which Earplugs?

What's Hot
chunkmonkchunkmonk Frets: 49
edited April 2022 in Live
Appreciating this has probably been discussed multiple times before but I’m after a new set of earplugs after my current ‘off the shelf’ Etymotic’s have seen better days.  I’m also wondering if they attenuated too much as I sometimes have to do a ‘half in half out’ to hear myself during some rehearsals and when playing gigs.

I’m wondering if moulded earplug may be better option but keen to know what other people use/recommend both as off the shelf and custom options. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• euaneuan Frets: 1400
    Interest. I feel like my Etymotics aren’t doing a decent enough job for me either. Was at a gig a couple of weeks ago and my ears were terrible for a couple of days despite the plugs going in the moment I stepped into the venue. Was looking at getting some Ultimate Ears
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1307
    I'm currently using the Alpine MusicSafePro earplugs with the silver filters (gold attenuates too much).
    I get the feeling from looking online the off the shelf ones are all much of a muchness?

It's taken a few gigs to get used to 'em but I've kinda adapted now - it's great to drive home at night without my ears ringing.

People on gearpage generally seem to rate custom moulds over off the shelf (obv. more $$$). However one guy who's been thru the lot (custom and off the shelf) suggested 3M Peltor Sport triple flanged ear plugs (I have no idea what they're like).

You're right to raise this as a thread - stuff like this really should be more discussed / recommendations etc... For musicians this is pretty important stuff as regards hearing.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    It depends which elements of the sound you want to let through. For my own gigs I use fitted IEMs. For other people’s gigs, events like the Guitar Show, and won trains and planes, I use ACS moulded plugs which let through a reasonably level spread of frequencies, but at lower volume. With my chainsaw I use ordinary triple flanger earplugs which block everything. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    I've got both ACS (17db) and Read (15dB) fitted earplugs.  I found the ACS very good for attending gigs but have struggled when playing rehearsals with our band. They seem to change the mix in the room such that my guitar is quieter relative to the rest of the band.  Might just take getting used to.  So I thought I'd try the Read's which I think are better but I haven't had enough time with them yet to properly tell.  I'm mostly now playing with a different band with electronic drum kit so the overall level is much lower and earplugs not required.

The ACS are more comfortable - they're smooth silicon vs the hard plastic of the Read.  Also makes the ACS easier to insert and remove.  Hence at the moment for me it's ACS for attending gigs and Read for playing with band.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Off the shelf Etymotics for gig attendence. I've shelled out for some moulded ones, but haven't played a loud gig since.

The bag-of-50 soft jobs are pretty good for gigs too - not for playing though.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1077
    I've got ACS 19dBs and Earos 17dB earplugs. I don't like either, as they attenuate too much high end. I often find myself doing the same thing as the OP, and pulling them half out of my ears, or even removing the plug that's furthest from the drummer, PA, etc. The last few rehearsals I've left them out, and asked everyone to turn down, with mixed results. 
  • Been using the ACS Pro 17 ones since 2013. They're custom moulded ones and fit nicely I can wear them for hours. Allows me to hear all the frequencies just at a lower volume, drum cymbals sound a bit more acceptable if you've got a hard hitter and stand right next to them!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Been using the ACS Pro 17 ones since 2013. They're custom moulded ones and fit nicely I can wear them for hours. Allows me to hear all the frequencies just at a lower volume, drum cymbals sound a bit more acceptable if you've got a hard hitter and stand right next to them!
    I have these too - I had the moulds done at the Bham guitar show. Usually, when we have this conversation someone pops up saying the Read's are better so I may try them next time. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Ive got the ACS Pro15 and Pro26s - note they arent totally flat, but the Pro17s are pretty flat (but took out too much volume for me)

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 842
    Another with the ACS17 here. Also had the moulds done at the Brum guitar show during a particularly loud hour. I had been using some of the etymotics and Alpine’s prior to that. 
    I use them when I’m playing/rehearsing along with taking them to every gig I watch.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 921
    edited April 2022
    ACS 17s here too. I also use mine when I'm travelling on a plane or riding my motorbike.

It's a no brainer to get good quality molded earplugs as soon as you can. My mother and sister are both profoundly deaf - one through age (she's 89 years of age, bless her) and the other from having worked at concert venues in the 1970's when there were no noise limits at gigs, and no one had heard of earplugs.

Believe me hearing aids run into thousands of pounds for decent ones, so do yourself a favour and buy some decent moulded plugs now and save yourself a fortune in the future.

Once you've got tinitus it never goes away...  
  • I'm monitoring this thread. Looking for some £25ish jobbies for gig attendance. I don't gig anymore and don't really frequent many gigs, so not prepared to pay more than £25.
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 104
    edited April 2022
    I got some Vic Firth triple flanges when my previous plugs wore out.

Do the job.

The 3m ones look like fairly generic 3 flange jobs but easy to keep track of (just don't look at them with the naked eye or in strong sunlight).

I avoid using a connecting string in case it catches on something and rips the plugs out.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    I'm monitoring this thread. Looking for some £25ish jobbies for gig attendance. I don't gig anymore and don't really frequent many gigs, so not prepared to pay more than £25.

For gig attendance the Alpine MusicSafe ones are fine, and in budget.
  • Snags said:
    I'm monitoring this thread. Looking for some £25ish jobbies for gig attendance. I don't gig anymore and don't really frequent many gigs, so not prepared to pay more than £25.

Classic or Pro?
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327

Snags said:

Classic or Pro?

As far as I can see the only difference between the two is an extra filter option and some cleaning stuff (and a better case) with the Pro ones. When I got mine I think there was only the equivalent of "pro" available (three filters, but no cleaning stuff, and a hard plastic case) and I've used them for jams and for attending gigs, usually with the minimal dB cut filter, occasionally with the middle one. So I'd get Pro, as I get most use out of the extra filter that comes with those.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1307
    Satriani uses foam ear plugs  - and has been for the last 35 years - only just found this out today (!).

29 mins in...

Joe Satriani Interview - The Elephants Of Mars, EVH & More - YouTube

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 921

Famous musicians who openly talk about their tinnitus:

• Chris Martin (Coldplay)
    • Moby
    • Ozzy Osborne
    • Phil Colins
    • Bono (U2)
    • Anthony Keidis (The Red Hot Chili Peppers)
    • Neil Young
    • Eric Clapton (Cream)
    • Will.I.Am (The Black Eyed Peas)
    • Pete Townshend (The Who)
    • Brian Johnson (AC/DC)
    • Bob Dylan
    • Thomas Bangalter (Daft Punk)
    • Jeff Beck (Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Band)
    • Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner AKA Sting (the Police)
    • Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
    • Liam Gallagher (Oasis)
    • Joey Jordison (Slipknot)
    • Grimes
    • James Hetfield (Metallica)
    • John Densmore (The Doors)
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    MtB said:

Famous musicians who openly talk about their tinnitus:

• Chris Martin (Coldplay)
    • Moby
    • Ozzy Osborne
    • Phil Colins
    • Bono (U2)
    • Anthony Keidis (The Red Hot Chili Peppers)
    • Neil Young
    • Eric Clapton (Cream)
    • Will.I.Am (The Black Eyed Peas)
    • Pete Townshend (The Who)
    • Brian Johnson (AC/DC)
    • Bob Dylan
    • Thomas Bangalter (Daft Punk)
    • Jeff Beck (Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Band)
    • Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner AKA Sting (the Police)
    • Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
    • Liam Gallagher (Oasis)
    • Joey Jordison (Slipknot)
    • Grimes
    • James Hetfield (Metallica)
    • John Densmore (The Doors)
    And Dave Grohl.  He’s got it pretty bad. He says it’s mostly on his left from his drum monitor on stage.