The Doctor Who thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited January 2017
    Peter Capaldi quits Doctor Who .. will Matt Smith return?

http://www.timeout.com/london/blog/peter-capaldi-quits-doctor-who-013017

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1047
    I vote for Katherine Kelly; currently showing her class by out doctoring the Doctor in Class.

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1247

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38808070

Tim Roth would be cool.  Or Hayley Atwell.  Or Maxine Peake.

Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • MrBump said:

Of all those, I'd go with Tim Roth. A great actor, who might actually get worthwhile scripts with Moffat standing down.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25016
    MrBump said:

I think the time has probably come when they'll go for a female or non-white doctor.  Maybe both. 

If that article's the shortlist (which of course it isn't) I'd like to see Richard Ayoade as the Doctor... but I don't think he will be.  My opinion's irrelevant anyway, I don't even watch it any more.

I'd keep the Doctor male .. we already have Missy and the Doctor's assistant is female.

I'm pretty sure they'll go with a young actor.

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1047
    How's about Fish - formerly of Marillion; acts occasionally and a real character!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • How's about Fish - formerly of Marillion; acts occasionally and a real character!
    subtitles required... and probably too tall for the TARDIS door
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16656
    Johnny Vegas, if he can't get the channel 4 Bake Off job ( for which I think he is completely ideal). Whoever it is  I think we wouldn't see them until Xmas 2017 at the earliest? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Doctor Who has been stuck in the past too long – the next Time Lord needs to be a woman  ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/doctor-has-stuck-past-long-next-time-lord-needs-woman/

I disagree ....

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    I think it's time to accept that the Doctor has only 12 regenerations and call it a day.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    No.  Moffat has been fairly toxic and wandered so far from the original idea it"s changed how we see Dr Who.

There is too much emphasis on special effects and appealing to a young global audience (OK, this is where the revenue comes from), someone really needs to step back and look at the edgier stories from the 70's and 80's where it wasn't so clear cut who was bad and less bad. 

I'm I'm sure no one here would be commenting if they didn't have a deep rooted affection for the concept based on their youth.
    ICBM said:
    I think it's time to accept that the Doctor has only 12 regenerations and call it a day.
    I agree with this .. I think it's run its course.

• Fretwired said:

Which is what they said when Michael Grade put it into hiatus. And then they said it again after Season 26. Cue the Virgin New Adventures and everything that followed. 

All it needs is a change in approach and a change of writer. When both Who and Sherlock have the same problems, then there's one person you point the finger at. 

The Telegraph article mentioned above is most amusing. "And surely the 13th Doctor can’t be yet another white man." - oh, the outrage! Here's another list dominated by middle aged white men... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Telegraph#Editors

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:

Which is what they said when Michael Grade put it into hiatus. And then they said it again after Season 26. Cue the Virgin New Adventures and everything that followed. 

All it needs is a change in approach and a change of writer. When both Who and Sherlock have the same problems, then there's one person you point the finger at. 

The Telegraph article mentioned above is most amusing. "And surely the 13th Doctor can’t be yet another white man." - oh, the outrage! Here's another list dominated by middle aged white men... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Telegraph#Editors

Can't argue with that either ...

• Fretwired said:

Can't argue with that either ...
    Just need to combine Who with newspaper editors then. Kelvin MacKenzie for the next Doctor. Or maybe Rebekah Brooks as the first female Doctor. In her first episode, she travels back in time to figure out what happened to those News International emails that got wiped a few years back... 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    Personally I'll be outraged if the new doctor isn't a black muslim lesbian in a wheelchair with a sonic screwdriver that doubles as a vibrator.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    axisus said:
    So, just seen what the xmas Fretwired said:
    ICBM said:
    He's already discovered he has more than 12, he just doesn't know if it's a new finite amount or not.

The Master has had about 18 as well.

cant go back in time you know... oh wait 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28389
    To be honest all the PC brigade can just feck off with all that "too many white males" and "must be a woman" bollocks. It's just a Fekkin tv show. James Bond is man Othello is a big black bloke Wonder Woman is a female and Dr Who is a man (although an alien). Get over it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom