Anyone sprayed lacquer over a vinyl image?

What's Hot
Anyone sprayed lacquer over a vinyl image? I plan to 'seal in' some artwork but I'm just wondering what might be a compatible lacquer?

Im guessing no, but no harm in asking ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FWIW, I've sprayed clear lacquer over vinyl stickers on a bike frame and it worked really well.  It was a generic aerosol from Halfords or similar, so may have been cellulose or something else (I seem to remember it smelling sort of mushroomy rather than acetoney so possibly not cellulose)... if nobody comes up with any definitive answers I think I've still got the can in the garage so I can try to dig it out and see what it was.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • also, test the lacquer on a spare piece of the same vinyl to check for reactions..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    Many times. The latest being just yesterday in fact.

I always use 2 pack polyurethane lacquer on my particular applications, but I'd imagine anything less hardy than that would work, if not adhere/provide protection as good were the finished product be exposed to wear and tear. I always apply a dust coat followed by a liberal second coat to achieve a gloss finish.

When applying, you just have to let the first coat tack off so that there's no risk of the second coat attacking the edges of the vinyl and causing lift. If the vinyl is well stuck down/decent quality however, that shouldn't be an issue.

To be honest, the main thing is not to put lots of fingerprints on everything before you spray as degreasing can cause a little bit of an issue, even though it's good practice, in that you can go backwards and damage the vinyl, create 'wipe' marks etc etc. Better to keep everything as clean as possible and avoid it completely.
  • CFHCFH Frets: 470
    I think this is how @TrentGuitars finishes the logos on his headstocks?
  • TrentGuitarsTrentGuitars Frets: 1756
    edited April 2022 tFB Trader
    CFH said:
    I think this is how @TrentGuitars finishes the logos on his headstocks?
    I did indeed, and it works very well! No issues using my waterbased lacquer

I have switched to waterslide now though, because it's what people kept asking me for, a lot more costly though!