Wiring problem 1HB, 1 single coil, volume, no tone control

What's Hot
Guitar has 1 single coil, 1 humbucker, 1 volume control, no tone control. Wiring diagram used is this: https://guitarelectronics.com/1-humbucker-1-single-coil-3-way-toggle-1-volume-00/

Instead of controling the volume, the pot acts like a tone control.

I've checked the wiring and solder joints, all looks fine. Everything is correctly earthed.

Humbucker is Iron Gear Blues Engine. Black and shield earthed, green and white connected and taped, red to switch.

Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    edited April 2022
    A photograph of your actual wiring would be helpful.

What resistance value is the pot?

It is possible that repeated heating with a soldering iron has damaged the innards of the pot.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1705
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1eknwwskfltts0y/wiring.jpg?raw=1

Pot is B500K

If all else fails I'll replace the pot.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    Most likely the back of the pot is either not connected to earth or that the tag that is supposed to be connected to earth is not actually connected.
    Also
    The barrel jack is a stereo one .
    Check you have the right tags connected .

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Thanks for your suggestions @Funkfingers @FelineGuitars ;

I've replaced the pot with a new A500K. Will check out the jack wiring later.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15262
    Looked at the photograph. Unfortunately, the bits that I needed to see heard obscured behind other bits. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74477
    Most likely the back of the pot is either not connected to earth or that the tag that is supposed to be connected to earth is not actually connected.
    +1

A common failure point is the rivet where the ground terminal is attached to the trackboard, often strained when the terminal is bent back to solder it to the casing. Squeezing the rivet hard with some fine-nose pliers will often fix it.

The barrel jack is a stereo one .
    Check you have the right tags connected .
    On this type of jack, if it's not being used for stereo or an active circuit battery switch, always connect *both* the ring and ground connections to ground - this greatly increases the reliability of these unreliable jacks by almost guaranteeing that the ground contact can't fail... leaving only the tip contact as the weak point.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The jack is broken, there is no signal at the tip. I'll replace it tomorrow.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    edited April 2022
    ICBM said:
    On this type of jack, if it's not being used for stereo or an active circuit battery switch, always connect *both* the ring and ground connections to ground - this greatly increases the reliability of these unreliable jacks by almost guaranteeing that the ground contact can't fail... leaving only the tip contact as the weak point.
    Does that apply to all stereo jacks? I just kept the stereo jack in my Jackson when I converted the active EMGs to passive Alegrees, if it helps I can rewire the unused contact to ground as well...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74477
    Dave_Mc said:

Does that apply to all stereo jacks? I just kept the stereo jack in my Jackson when I converted the active EMGs to passive Alegrees, if it helps I can rewire the unused contact to ground as well...
    Yes, although with a standard open-frame type the improvement is smaller since they’re less unreliable in the first place.

But basically, you can always connect unused contacts to whatever they’re in parallel with to gain a ‘backup’ connection in case the first one gets dirty/corroded/stressed and isn’t making a reliable contact.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Replaced the jack, wired as @ICBM suggested. Volume pot now controls the volume. 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Yes, although with a standard open-frame type the improvement is smaller since they’re less unreliable in the first place.

But basically, you can always connect unused contacts to whatever they’re in parallel with to gain a ‘backup’ connection in case the first one gets dirty/corroded/stressed and isn’t making a reliable contact.