SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: '64 Epi Wilshire £1650, now £1350; Sold: Gibson Melody Maker, 65, wide nut £1750.

What's Hot
MikeCMikeC Frets: 459
edited November 2022 in Guitars £
Been on the hunt for lightweight gig-able vintage guitars (due to my bad back) and picked these two up on this forum as part of the journey, but neither is quite perfect to be a keeper for life. Close but no cigar. So the search continues. Both came from the wonderful vintage guitar restorer well known on this forum - Yuuki (Jumping at Shadows) - one directly, one indirectly. 

Might be tempted by a high quality lightweight (under 7lb) telecaster

first one for sale...bought in November '21 from Sharky335 who beat me to it when Yuuki listed it....

1964 players grade Epiphone Wilshire.

It has a thick slab Honduran mahogany body, same as a ‘50s DC Jnr, and a jet black quarter sawn Brazilian RW fretboard, and beautifully faded original cherry finish throughout. The reason why it’s not £4k plus like a totally stock example, is as the neck was reset at some point and while the glue joint was perfectly sound, someone went full belt and braces and added two small dowels under the original pickguard, and added a small Fender style neck plate on the back, which has been removed and cleaned up - the joint is totally sound, and the whole guitar resonates well and the issue has no impact on playability or tone. 

The original mini humbucker pickups were missing so Yuuki fitted some goldfoils from ‘Q pickups’ in Croatia, and the hardware is high quality Gibson Historic fare. It comes with a decent ‘70s MIJ hard case but the handle is a bit dodgy. Sound wise it is somewhere between a 50's P90 LP special and a telecaster. Since I've bought it, I've had it serviced and set up by Kevin at 'Stairway to Kevin' in Denmark Street, including fitting a new bone nut and the wiring was tidied up. Looking to get back what I paid for it (so will take a hit on the work done to it etc). Again, a tough call, but whilst the neck is very nice higher up, it's just that little bit too narrow for me at the cowboy chord end - I prefer the fatter early 60's Gibson necks.  

Would prefer pickup in North London (say 30 minutes from East Finchley) / central London but I can post (UK only) at your expense / choice of courier and insurance arrangements on top of the price noted.  

I hope Yuuki won't mind if I post the link as his photos are great. 

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/2307881/#Comment_2307881

Update - just installed aged Sunbear firebird pickups (cost over £240 plus installation) - wow!  

Second one is a 1965 single pick up Gibson Melody Maker in rare original ember red (Yuuki didn't even know that MM's came in this colour). This one has a very nice big 64 SG neck profile ie wide pre ‘65 nut (1 and 11/16 inches), all nickel parts, fully stock aside from aged replacement Klusons (btw, original ones rarely stay in tune anyway) and an ABM bridge. Comes with TKL hard case. Weighs just under 6lb. I got the guitar from Yuuki on the forum and replaced the original lightning bridge (which is in the case) to get a better set up result (the original bridge works best with a wound G) and also had the guitar set up / fettled by Kevin at 'Stairway to Kevin' on Denmark Street. Nicely worn and knocked about a little.

Yuuki's description: 'this one sounds like a ‘50s Jnr - fat, sassy and punchy, with added Esquire-like twang and stringiness, all controlled from the twin knobs'.

Serial number (really hard to read) is 313375 which puts it in the 1965 range.

But I have realised that I'm just a 2 pickup kind of person - I really love this guitar aside from that. Very addictive to play. And the colour is really great. 

Looking for £1750. I sourced an original tremelo / vibrato as shown in photos (spare vintage trem base is in the case). On line prices are nearer to £2250 or more for a less rare colour, but I'd like it to go to a good home here. Again, would prefer pickup in North London (say 30 minutes from East Finchley) / central London but I have a box so can post (UK only) at your expense / choice of courier and insurance arrangements on top of the price noted.  

I hope Yuuki won't mind if I post the link as his photos and sound clip are great:

Plus my rubbish photos

https://imgur.com/eZmyDzA.jpg
https://imgur.com/LmEbtxw.jpg
https://imgur.com/fqI6IPD.jpg
https://imgur.com/wn3f8cz.jpg
https://imgur.com/iQlcDP3.jpg

Worst knocks:

https://imgur.com/qJc4dcW.jpg

Spare maestro trem base (included in sale):

https://imgur.com/ExqFi5Q.jpg

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Both of those are absolutely lush. Mega lush. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeCMikeC Frets: 459
    edited April 2022
    Sorry, just played the melody maker and can’t sell it. Just that beautiful woody sound and feel from an old Gibson when unplugged…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This Wiltshire is an awesome guitar , if i had the funds would not hesitate to  take it back , it honestly held up to my 58 les paul special 
    Bump for a lovely bit of vintage kit
    Gentle bump
    Sorry, just been playing the epi and it’s not for sale at the moment. Too good to let go. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2022
    Decided to list the MM again as I've now got a 57 LP special TV special with a similar neck and can't justify both..

Can't promise I wont change my mind - playing the MM brings a smile to my face. 
    Have dropped the price from £1850 to £1750. 
    Bump
    Bump for a great vintage wide necked Gibson 
    Bump
    Bump, now also on fleabay
    Bump
    edited September 2022
    Just seen something I’d like to get, so price drop to £1650 on the melody maker, might also relist the epi even though I’ve added new sunbear firebird pickups to it. 
    Gentle bump for a super fab vintage wide necked Gibson 
    Bump
    Bump and open to sensible offers.
    Shall we say £1600?
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    edited September 2022
    Amazing price for this, surprised it's not gone yet
    Still open to sensible offers for a vintage wide nut Gibson in rare custom colour...